Look what Gale just posted!!!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I was on YouTube going thought all my subscribed channels, and low and behold, look what Gale Banks just posted:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!! My favorite body style and colors!!!!!!

Before you watch, go get some napkins to wipe up the drool!!!!!

Jcsheriff

Reaction score
I’m left speechless, I was feeling nostalgic and envious at the same time. Thanks for the inspirational video.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope he is reproducing the old setups...

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIs are beasts. Among the coolest things humans ever made. Mechanically controlled precision explosions

Like if you combined a fine Swiss watch with a Molotov Cocktail. Then throw it inside a tractor to get moving

My first love was a big block Chevy, but always disappointed I had to add computers for multiport fuel injection. Always dreams about mechanically controlling that setup. Then discovered thay IDI was all that already in big block form

Then 420 cubic inches also being 6.9 liters?! Beavis and butthead would be proud

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the owners instagram name is @ch_classics he uses that truck as a mobile detailing rig

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No specs? No sound of the truck going down the road and they should fix the glow plugs properly. Lame!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
No specs? No sound of the truck going down the road and they should fix the glow plugs properly. Lame!

Honestly, on the factory 6.9 System, switching to a push button is the "proper" fix. The factory 6.9 Controller has a bad habit of failing "on" and burning up the glow plugs. So most owners just switch to a push button, to supply +12 volts to the relay on the fender to activated the glow plugs.

Or, if you want a controller, then switching to the 7.3 style controller (which your 87 would have factory, 87 was the only year) would be a better choice. The 7.3 controller will fail "off" and not destroy the plugs.

Some, including me, will even put a push button on the 7.3 controller. Providing a ground to the relay to be able to override the controller if necessary.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if done right, is there really any harm to a 6.9 if you put a banks turbo on it? This video just convinced me that I need one haha

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, on the factory 6.9 System, switching to a push button is the "proper" fix. The factory 6.9 Controller has a bad habit of failing "on" and burning up the glow plugs. So most owners just switch to a push button, to supply +12 volts to the relay on the fender to activated the glow plugs.

Or, if you want a controller, then switching to the 7.3 style controller (which your 87 would have factory, 87 was the only year) would be a better choice. The 7.3 controller will fail "off" and not destroy the plugs.

Some, including me, will even put a push button on the 7.3 controller. Providing a ground to the relay to be able to override the controller if necessary.

I love my 6.9 controller. Tucked away by the firewall out of the way. Simple. Has worked perfect for years. Truck starts fast everytime.

You saying it's just a ticking time bomb?! Damn. It might have to go now

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So if done right, is there really any harm to a 6.9 if you put a banks turbo on it? This video just convinced me that I need one haha
If by saying "if it's done right" you mean adding studs, then the answer is "no". There's no more harm done to a 6.9 than to a 7.3 by adding a turbo. Just remember that, due to the smaller diameter head bolts/studs, a 6.9 can't handle the same amount of boost pressure that a 7.3 can. People have probably been putting turbos on their 6.9s since 1983.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ghetto glow plug system, rigged starter solenoid, craptastic shell on the back.........c+ at best lol

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I love my 6.9 controller. Tucked away by the firewall out of the way. Simple. Has worked perfect for years. Truck starts fast everytime.

You saying it's just a ticking time bomb?! Damn. It might have to go now

Well, the factory location for the 7.3 Controller, is on the back of the intake, by the firewall. Are you sure it's the 6.9 style you have? The 6.9 controller threads into the back of the drivers side head. The 7.3 controller is bolted to the intake, just beside where a 6.9 one would be located. The only other location that I have seen, factory anyway, is on the valve cover on a factory turbo engine.

Is the 6.9 Controller a "ticking time bomb", not necessarily, but know, if it does fail, they normally fail in the on position, and will cook the plugs to death. However, you would also see it happening, as the Wait To Start light would be on when it shouldn't be.... if you notice it, and are able to disconnect the purple wire from the relay in the fender, you might be able to save the plugs.