Lockers for 93 F-350?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front lockers can cause bad vibrations in turns. Wheel slip also happens. I would not use a front end locker is you drive on road much. Even in my Jeep, I used an open front end. I like steering.

Sounds like a selective locker (e.g. air actuated ARB), is the way to go as I do recall posi getting a little hairy on icy roads. There will be ice!

I was thinking rear only for now purely for financial reasons but I've yet to price out either front or rear to see if there's any difference in price or plowing performance.

Better go look at my door sticker. Thanks All.

Locker in the front can cause high pucker factors on slick roads. If I were thinking about locking the front, it would be selectable. For the rear, it really is personal preference. All have advantages and disadvantages. I think we can all agree the one wheel peel sucks though.

The OX locker is selectable, I certainly would not run a locked front on-road! The OP mentioned running chains and cement blocks so vibrations and other driving peculiarities are expected :D I would rebuild the rear LS. If that is not enough, chain the FRONT wheels. If that is not enough traction, locker in the front, chains on the front. That not enough for you...?... add chains to the rears :sly. Then up your ballast from 500 lbs to 2500 lbs :cheers:

Your quickest / cheapest fix for now is to rebuild the LS rear and put chains on the front. It will be a tank in this configuration.

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I've manged to avoid chains.

I'm shopping for a C5 rebuild kit but haven't found one yet.

KB

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need to re set up the differential to rebuild the lsd or can it be done with the carrier in place? If everything else is tip top besides the lsd being week is re clutching it quick or easy?

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a price from BCC in Surrey for a Yukon 'Grizzly' (Detroit) Locker for $996 + basic bearing set for $240. They figure 4 hours for a skilled shop.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check a detroit true trac gear based lsd...front axle...may be worth it instead and rebuild your rear with new clutches...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I am a bit late on this one, but I agree 100% with having a select-able locker in the front of a street driven truck.

We had an 83 F-150 4x4 RC 351/C6 with I believe 4.10 ratio. Both ends had a FACTORY LSD (this was a "hens teeth" rare, F-150 only option in the early 80's(this was an unusual truck, it's been discussed on here before, the original owner ordered it exactly the way he wanted it)). It was great in the slop and muck, but it was also our "get to town in the winter" vehicle (Mom and Dad still live there and it 30 Miles to the nearest sizeable town, and work). On the crowned rural roads, when you came to a dead stop and started to take off again the truck would slide straight sideways until the passenger side tires got to the loose stuff at the ditch and then take off. In our rural areas, even when the road has been plowed, there is still and inch or so of snow on the road, and they do not treat the rural road. There was a learning curve to driving this truck, but once you learned, it would go about anywhere........

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run snow tires in winter, I use Blizzaks, you will get many seasons of great traction. Also out stop any all season or mud tire on ice.

biggun

Reaction score
I don't know how proficient you are with a welder, but I would definitely weld the rear and leave the front open. Not bad in the snow at all.

biggun

Reaction score
Cheap, and works great. Make sure clean with brakeleen and get somebody that has done it before to help you.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has a posi already..rebuild add the HD spring and golden

True trac helical gear in front is awesome...from my experience

biggun

Reaction score
If you have a posi that complicates things. I would look for an open carrier and weld it. It will wear your rear tires faster than a limited slip or posi. 3 wheel drive is awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat