Location of fill/level plug in Ford 10.25 axle

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to change my diff oil, but can't find the fill/level plug. Anyone know for sure where it is...a pic would be even sweeter. Thanks!
JD

1994IDI

Reaction score
I cant get a picture, but it is on the driver side of the diff. toward the front of the truck. If you crawl under the truck, right in front of the rear driver side tire, you will see it on the top half of the differential. It is a square head that accepts a 3/8 ratchet with no socket. Hope it helps. Happy hunting.

1994IDI

Reaction score
It's not on the very top, but it is more than half way up the side of the diff.

sootman73

Reaction score
its on the front drivers side right below the center web. its NOT fun to try to get off either. i can't get mine off right now(and for a while) but i fill the axle from the port at the abs sensor on te top. its much easier to fill the axle from there and watch the fill plug for the right level.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, driver's side of the front of the diff. about half way up. 3/8 square plug. Be careful not to over tighten it. Just get it good and snug and if it leaks, snug it a bit more. Once they are too tight, they can be a real PITA to get out or even strip the 3/8 square.

Heath

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
for what it's worth JD, it's easier to fill through the vent in the back.... just leave the plug open until it starts to run out.

sootman73

Reaction score
Yup, driver's side of the front of the diff. about half way up. 3/8 square plug. Be careful not to over tighten it. Just get it good and snug and if it leaks, snug it a bit more. Once they are too tight, they can be a real PITA to get out or even strip the square 3/8 square.

Heath

yea mines stripped out and stuck in there. i was going to weld a nut on it and be done but the axle is not even worth the effort since its junk. i'll def do that to the axle i'm getting from my brother.;Sweet

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
The height of it is level with the bottom of the axle tube.

You might check your vent while you're there. Mine had the rubber line broke off and it was full of rusty dirt, very well sealed but now I now why my axle seals were leaking a little, well, one of the reasons anyway.

If you remove the vent, it has a very small hole in it that I had to clean with a small drill bit, wouldn't take much at all to clog it.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Jd Im sitting here with the factory exploded diagram in my lap and i'm happy to scan it for you but the posts above (for me at least) are actually more descriptive/helpful. Let me know if you do want it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so thanks to everyone here I got it done, a few thoughts:
1) For future reference the level plug on the 10.25 is right where you guys said, on the driver's side of the differential on the front part(closer to the cab) and it's hiding but obvious if you know what it is you're looking for! Hopefully the next guy will find this thread
2) BIG thanks to Jim aka Gatorman2128 for guiding me to where the axle vent lives, for the record this is the front vent DeepRoots was speaking of and it IS the best place to fill the diff with oil if you can get that fitting out and a small enough funnel in. It is on the axle tubing and should have a rubber hose going away from it that tees into the brake lines. These guys were telling me that the vent needs to be cleaned in order to prevent your oil bath seals from leaking. If that's true it's good I got around to it now because the fitting was full of rustycruddy stuff and took some serious cleaning to get it to breathe freely, but it definitely is now. Thanks for the filling tip Drew it made my life easier/less messy.
3) I'm now running Amsoil "Severe Gear" 75W-90 synthetic. I did not change the fluid last time cause my pinion nut had backed off and I had a shop fix it by retorquing the pinion nut and replacing the crush sleeve. I was definitely scared to see what was in there. I thought I might find chunks of metal and lots of contamination, but it looked nearly pristine, so I was happy. So far no leaks and no scary noises after a test drive last night and too and from work today so all seems well. I guess we'll have to wait awhile to see if I think the Amsoil makes any noticeable difference in fuel economy. Probably won't or at least just part of the package of soem improvement with fixing my leaks and adding a cold air intake. Thanks again, all that helped.