Location for water temp sending unit?

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather not try and T it into the factory location. I noticed a threaded plug on top of the water pump with a square top, can I put it there? If not I was thinking of Ting it into the supply line to the heater core.

Thoughts?

MoMo

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not just go straight into the factory location? I just got rid of the usless factory sender and put a machanical temp sender and guage..................it works perfectly.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are two sending units on the front driver's side of the engine. You can't see them very well if you have A/C. The one on the front corner is the switch for the check engine light and also pegs the factory gauge when the engine gets over 240. The sending unit next to this one farther toward the center of the engine is the one for the gauge, and that's the one you should probably take out and put your new one in place.

Where ever you put the new sending unit, a tee or any remote way of mounting the sending unit will not work very well. The probe needs to be in the flow of coolant, not off to the side were it can't get a good sample reading.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
top of the water pump is not accurate, it is from the radiator bottom. put it in the stock location and move the stock one to the rear of the head.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
top of the water pump is not accurate, it is from the radiator bottom. put it in the stock location and move the stock one to the rear of the head.

Where on the rear of the head is there a port?

As for why not getting ridof the factory, I just don't like the idea of the gauge sitting there all limp. I did that for the oil pressure gauge and didn't care for it.

MoMo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All my factory gauges work even though I have several aftermarket Isspro EV gauges too. Fo the dash coolant gauge I installed the factory sender in the water pump location but... To do this you need a shoulderless reducer. Otherwise the sender is too tall. I also cut down the threaded end just above the nut. It just barley fits under the front adapter housing from Banks. I installed the Isspro gauge coolant sender in the factory location... Works great... Now the dash coolant gauge wont tell you what the temp is but it will tell you what the low temp is for the coolant. Kinda neet too.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driver side head back top, it is the hole that would be used for the fast idle switch if it was on the pass side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US