list of random truck questions 'quirks'

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. When ever I want to use my map light the running lights or headlights have to be on? not the dome light, but the map lights. is it like this on everyone's trucks?

2. When parking break is on(truck running) is there a dash light that should light up? I have not noticed one on mine, but it sure would help the wife to not drive with it on. :eek:

3. When I start the truck and the AC is on, the air seems so come out the floor vents instead of the dash vents until i get some vacuum built up(I guess). Normal? In conjunction i have noticed that the temprature side lever for Cool to hot doesn't stay all the way to the cool side, but it tends to slide back a little to the left? :dunno

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. My map lights work whenever. I have also swapped to a 97 explorer overhead light. Map light always work on the original and this new one.

2. I don't have a light either, but there is a switch on my e brake pedal....thinking it's supposed to light up the brake light, but doesn't.

3. Sounds normal to me. Goes to defrost as a default in case you do lose vacuum you can keep the windshield clear.
Temp control probably buries the door before the lever gets all the way cold. I bet it is all the way closed to th cold side even with the lever backed off some.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the 97 exploder overhead light swap too and that is when I noticed the map lights. I wonder if it's a different year wiring difference, 1989 vs 1992?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the ground through the map light circuit. Wonder if it's hunting for a ground somewhere and finding it in the running light circuit....just a thought.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Parking brake light works here. The only one in my cluster that doesn't is the hi-beams. First owner cut that out and put the turbo gauge in that spot. Have a new cluster/bezel, just have to relocate the egt/boost gauge and slide the new one in! LOL

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking brake light works here. The only one in my cluster that doesn't is the hi-beams. First owner cut that out and put the turbo gauge in that spot. Have a new cluster/bezel, just have to relocate the egt/boost gauge and slide the new one in! LOL

nice

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
1. When ever I want to use my map light the running lights or headlights have to be on? not the dome light, but the map lights. is it like this on everyone's trucks?

2. When parking brake is on(truck running) is there a dash light that should light up? I have not noticed one on mine, but it sure would help the wife to not drive with it on. :eek:

3. When I start the truck and the AC is on, the air seems so come out the floor vents instead of the dash vents until i get some vacuum built up(I guess). Normal? In conjunction i have noticed that the temprature side lever for Cool to hot doesn't stay all the way to the cool side, but it tends to slide back a little to the left? :dunno

On my 93 the map lights work all the time
The parking brake makes the red brake light come on,the same one if you have a brake problem.
My a/c does the same thing until it builds vacuum. I was thinking I had a leak at one of the reserver cans, but now I'm wondering if this is normal. The temperature lever I bet is your cable adjustment if it is cable actuated.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the map light problem sounds like a ground problem cause the switch is the power side of the circut

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are wiring differences in the roofs, I put map lights in the 91, came with a dome only, maps work only with door open???... Heater scenarios are totally normal.
If the wife cant tell the park brake is on, take away her keys.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are wiring differences in the roofs, I put map lights in the 91, came with a dome only, maps work only with door open???... Heater scenarios are totally normal.
If the wife cant tell the park brake is on, take away her keys.

Is your truck a XL? I think that the XLT and Lariats came with the map light options. when I open my door only the dome light comes on. seems like you are missing the extra wire for the map lights.

Molbilemech, I think the light grounds directly to the roof.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
type4 is right about the wires in the roof being different between a truck with dome onlt and dome and map light. there is a thread that explained what to do to make the map light work correctly but i cant find it now, still looking. will update when found

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online