Lift pump?

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the truck to the point where she is cranking, but no fire. I primed the fuel filter and had the wife crank the truck while I held in the schrader valve on the filter head. After a few tries, all I got was a little spray. So I disconnected the metal supply line and had the wife try again, nothing out of the supply line. The next try, I put my finger over the supply line and felt just a little pressure.

I know the fuel lines are connected right, there's no wetness any where on the lines, there's between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank of fuel, she's on a bit of an incline...so I'm thinking the lift pump has died. I remember when I drained the oil in Dec, there was a bit of a fuel smell to it...but the motor ran.

Is there anything else I need to check or am I right going to get a new lift pump?

Thanks

Last edited:

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, forget what I said. Apparently I need to prime the lift pump. It's amazing what happens when you use the search feature..lol.

So now my question becomes, can I plumb in an electric fuel pump to prime the system, and if I leave it in will it still allow fuel to flow through when it's off? If the lift pump isn't running, is 5-7 psi going to damage the diaphragm?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Lift pump shot. Just replace it... They are cheap and easy to install but... Make sure its installed with the lever on the correct side of the cam lobe...

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my lift pump for the second time in six months about two weeks ago. :backoff
You need to ensure that the crankshaft lobe that actuates the lift pump arm is at the lowest point possible when you install your lift pump. You'll need a mirror and a flashlight to do this. I had my brother crank on the engine while I laid on the ground with my mirror and flashlight aimed into the crankcase. It's a little tricky, but once you see the crank spinning around you'll understand.
The NAPA lift pump I got had instructions in the box it came with explaining what you need to do.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go electric! Your starter and glow plugs with thank you. Cranking an engine to get fuel to it is a huge waste, and a big cause of wear.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out lift pump, discovered the fuel lines are prolly reversed on the rear tank. 5 gallons of diesel in the front take, and after a couple of tries she fires off. Thanks for the help.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
in the future a good test for any pump is to test suction pressure.
this can be as easy as putting your finger over the end of the suction end of the pump while in operation.

this would have made diagnosing the pump much easier.
(vs lets say a suction hose obstruction, or bad FSV)

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a combination of the two. There was no suction on the old lift pump. I checked that this morning before I took it off, but it's a great point.

So after she fired, she was holding 40 psi of oil pressure and after she warmed, she dropped to 18 psi. It's a good day.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 22 years I'm on my second lift pump > including the original one...how bad can they be? ;Really
I'll pass on the electric Holley red,blue or whatever color it is you all insist on.
Unless the drive lobe wears off :D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 22 years I'm on my second lift pump > including the original one...how bad can they be? ;Really
I'll pass on the electric Holley red,blue or whatever color it is you all insist on.
Unless the drive lobe wears off :D

IMHO, The difference is night and day! I'll never go back to the mechanical pump again. For me, it was like compairing a steak at the Sizzler to a steak at Mancy's Steakhouse. Once you try a Mancy's steak, you just can't go back to the Sizzler.

Heath

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, The difference is night and day! I'll never go back to the mechanical pump again. For me, it was like compairing a steak at the Sizzler to a steak at Mancy's Steakhouse. Once you try a Mancy's steak, you just can't go back to the Sizzler.

Heath

What did the electric give you that the mechanical doesn't? Does the engine run smoother or have more power or something? The only difference I could see is if the electric has a higher gpm at the same pressure:dunno.
Travis..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online