Lift kits

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
http://www.performanceaccessories.com/products/master.htm

This was the lift I used, the body mounts were great and the steering extension was worth the price I thought, but the brackets for the bumper lift were kind of a joke. I put a ton of work into cutting up stuff moving my front bumper up and out, but it's done and it looks good. You might not have as much problem as I think you have a brink nose. The rear bumper was pretty easy to move. Good luck whatever way you go.

I think like Brad said that cutting the horns is the way to go, i was just hoping there might be some easy bolt on brackets in a kit somewhere. as for the rear bumper, thats gonna get ditched for a roll pan.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Don't forget the steering shaft, It's a slip in and doesn't have much room to spare on it's splines as it is.
Also as a side note for some reason if you lift it more than 2 inches with body, the block hits the firewall from what I've been told on here.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is plenty room in the steering shaft on the 80-91 trucks, 92-96, not so much, that's why the kits for the older trucks are pretty much just bolts and pucks in a box.
And yes, the rear corner of the DS head will hit the firewall due to the way it's shaped, even with a 2" BL, it needs some massaging.

Due to the way the front bumper wraps around the frame horns on an 80-86, there is no way to raise it without cutting them off and raising them.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May i ask why doing a body lift instead of doing it the right way ?

I don't know what you mean by "the right way"; but, most that do a body-lift are not doing so for increased ground clearance, but for the increased clearance between the fire-wall and floor-boards around areas that are just too tight for easy access on a factory height set-up.

A 2- or 3-inch body-lift yields miles of needed space for such things as turbo-chargers, engine swaps, fuel-tank access, and so forth and so on.

My 2-inch body-lift has easily been one of my most useful modifications.

I like it so well that I intend to remove and raise the actual body-mount brackets as high as I can sensibly accomplish.

You can put all the Skyjacker springs and suspension goodies you want under a truck and nary a one of them is gonna make the sheet-metal any farther from the frame; only a body-lift will accomplish that. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is plenty room in the steering shaft on the 80-91 trucks,

That was not the case when I put the 2-inch in my 1985.

The steering-shaft nearly popped out of engagement.

Besides, the factory shaft is dangerous looking and barely capable of steering the wheels in a factory height truck; add 20-years of deterioration and it is just plumb scary.

I figure a new Borgeson or Flaming River shaft is just a requirement on any truck and especially on a body-lifted one. ;Sweet

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by "the right way"; but, most that do a body-lift are not doing so for increased ground clearance, but for the increased clearance between the fire-wall and floor-boards around areas that are just too tight for easy access on a factory height set-up.

A 2- or 3-inch body-lift yields miles of needed space for such things as turbo-chargers, engine swaps, fuel-tank access, and so forth and so on.

My 2-inch body-lift has easily been one of my most useful modifications.

I like it so well that I intend to remove and raise the actual body-mount brackets as high as I can sensibly accomplish.

You can put all the Skyjacker springs and suspension goodies you want under a truck and nary a one of them is gonna make the sheet-metal any farther from the frame; only a body-lift will accomplish that. ;Sweet

Every truck i have ever seen had a body lift to squeeze bigger tires up under it. I think body lifts look horrible, especially when you can see through the frame, the bumpers and everything dont line up and all that. IF you are doing it for practical purposes then i understand how some believe it would be beneficial but ill never buy or make a body lift.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres why i want a liftkit lol

35’s and a lift kit how stuck can you get
Ain’t that just my luck where’s the chain I’m stuck out in the
Backwoods down in the holler....
Out in the backwood - Justin Moore

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Practical? Yes they can be. Good heads up on the extra room to work on things. I thought of putting a 2" body lift on the cab and allowing room for a 2" box tube sub frame so the bed can dump.:sly
Don't forget the radiator may need to be lowered so the fan is centered on it, the lower end of it rests in its intended place and the hoses are not stretched beyond their limits. And yes, the gap between things needs to be filled with something so you do not get that see through the truck look.:puke:

Just remember, when you are accessing the engine, you will be reaching 1-3" further down to get to things. Not bashing or trying to discourage, just a couple of things to consider. Plenty of room would be had for a 4" downpipe, I like that idea.;Really

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you seen my truck on my sig and on my OBPic Gallery, would it look a bit better lifted about 1-3 inches and is there anyone in TN who might could help me in 2011 after BCT?

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see a 1" body lift being practicle for clearance and all but for clearing tires I'll go with a suspention lift or a sawsall every time for my 1" would be the limit because after that things get retarded. But thats just my opinion and its your trucks so do what you want if you like bodylifts.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres why i want a liftkit lol

35’s and a lift kit how stuck can you get
Ain’t that just my luck where’s the chain I’m stuck out in the
Backwoods down in the holler....
Out in the backwood - Justin Moore

A body lift will barely get you any more ground clearance. You will only gain what you can from what your tires can provide. A Suspension lift, as it says, lifts the suspension. Better ground clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online