Lift axles

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who's got one on their truck? I have a high side 12' dump on a single axle and I've been kicking around the idea of getting one to increase payload.

Any thoughts on them?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The drag axles I've been around are a pain in the rear. If you have a rear lift, on a short truck, all the weight is wrong, when you've got the axle up. I've never been around a front lift, much, but they look like a logistics nightmare.
Besides, anytime you use the darned thing, you cut your drive traction well over 50%.

Myy opinion is, if you need that much GVW, get a twin-screw, and quit trying to bandaid a chest wound.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine would bein front of the drive axle. I have 4 wheel drive, so I'm not too worried abot traction.

I was looking at it primarily to keep out of trouble with the State Police when I need to run a heavy load.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I've never like pushers, because of their possible clearance issues, with the driveshaft.

Maybe you could get a smaller unit, with 16" tires, if you don't need that much capacity. They can be lifted higher, for more ground clearance, without getting into the box.

Getting one set up, so you don't screw up you axle weights could be a lil challenge. The DOT seems to frown about being over axle, just as much as being over gross.

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&rd=1&item=4512309371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

My truck is 33K now. I'd love to get to ~40K. The lift axle must weigh ~1,000lbs itself.

My truck weighs 16,000. So it currently has a legal payload of 8.5 tons (17,000lbs)

If the truck weighed 17,000 with the lift axle and I could get a 40K GVWR after it's installed, I could have a legal payload increased to 11.5 tons (23,000lbs).

Last edited:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
That's what i was thinking about, although I've seen much nicer installs.

An 8k lift unit, would cover theunit weight, and the ~7K, that your wanting to add. Even with an 8-lug pusher, you could always upgrade later, with some railroad takeoff 19.5 low pro's, if the 16's load rating wouldn't cover the weight.

I'd shy away from steerable pushers. They do help articulation some, but are higher priced, and more maintenance. You can always lift a straight axle, long enough to corner, or maneuver.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some good advice. Thanks.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity.....what didn't you like about the install on the truck I posted?

Was the frame set too low?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The axle is too far forward. The bag brakets are too light, and to far up. The line routing is laughable. If you got in some heavy, rocky mud, those brake lines would get torn right off. Should have used rubber brake hoses, routed inboards. That plastic line will weather, get brittle, and break off, with continual flexing like that.

I don't want to cut the guy down too bad. I imagine he moved that axle forward, to compensate for driveshaft clearance.

The farther forward you move it, the more weight you take off the steer axle. If your ride height isn't set correctly, you can basically have the truck balancing on the lift axle. As is, there will be too much weight on the lift, and not enough on the steer, to axle weight correctly, if it is loaded to max.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good eye. I looked at the pictures more closely, I see what you mean.

I think that particular set-up, installed better, would be really nice on my truck. I could really take advantage of the bigger box.

dondiesel444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey duke, have you ever REALLY loaded up your box? whats the tonnage capacity and how much overwieght would you be? depending on material of course.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don,

The box itself is 12' x 7' x 3' high, so it's a 9.5 yd box.
I figure dirt is roughly about 1.25 ton/yd.
3/4" Stone is roughly about 1.5 ton/YD.

Let's take dirt for example.

1.25 x 9.33 = 11.66 tons. That would be 3+ tons over my legal payload.

Stone is worse:

1.5 x 9.33 = 14 tons. Tha would be 5.5 tons over my legal payload.

I thought a lift axle that gave me another 8-10,000 lbs would enable me to carry loads that match the yardage of my box.

To answer your question, after I fill the box ~ 2/3rds full with soil, I'm just about at capacity
(6.33 yds x 1.25 tons = ~8 tons.)

I've gone about 3/4 full, but just down to the river, where we're filling lowland. It was pretty maxed-out 3/4 full of fill dirt.

Sbrem

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with a lift axle on a medium duty, but i do drive a Ford LTL9000 Tri axle with a 20K lift axle. It works good, but if you go off road with it it can get hung up easily even when in the up position. Tri axles don't really belong off road but my boss seems to think they do with some of the places he sends me. This lift axle is a non steerable one, so on tight turns you should lift it or it drags baddly. I'd like to try a truck with a steerable one. They sound like they work nice.

Stephen

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much more the steerable ones are?

I'm hearing 4-5 G's for the straight lift axle installed.

BROKER

SOUTHBOUND & DOWN
Reaction score
Duke make sure where ever you make your deal on a lift axel that they are DOT certified to legaly increase your GVW.Plus you will need an DOT inspection with an increase in your registerd weight with RMV. I'm not sure but does it affect the bridge formula for GVW ? Tolls will get you for another axel also.
I have not owned a pusher axel equiped truck since we sold the concrete plant.So things change and I'm sure technology has gotten better. Do you intend to go with aluminium rims at the pusher axel also?I like the idea of a lowpro 19.5 size wheel tire combo since it would let you suck it up further,nice when you are off road.