Lets talk torque converters and shift kits

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to find a nice 2 or 3 clutch converter and I'm having a hell of a time, The prices are all over the map..No way am I going to spend 1200.00 on a converter but some have a price of 300.00 and I'm sure its junk,Some have a core charge between 80.00 and 400.00!

As for shift kits there seams to be 20 or so available I'd like one with a nice crisp shift I dont think I want one to hit hard and cause broken drive train parts with all the valve body and pump up grades.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i use transgo HD kits for the E4OD/4R100. Have had very good luck with them. Transtar sells reman converters that aren't an arm, leg and left ********. Ask for a heavy duty converter. I paid 400 and change for the last one but it had a reinforced back cover vs the ford "renew" one i took out.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Converters are a you get what you pay for deal.;Really

The cheap fleabay deals are junk. Just patched up stoc spec units.
Billet covers and multi disk are found on the higher end units. Going higher, plastic washers are replaced with bearings. Wimpy internals are beefed up. stall speed will be set for application.

A good priced converter that will take abuse. www.racerxusa.com :thumbsup:

Shift kits. TransGo or Sonnax Sure Cure. Either kit will firm up the shifts. You have to set them to your liking. Not a big deal. TransGo involves drilling hole in a calibration plate. Sonnax involves moving shims. :D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get my tranny parts from here seems like good prices.

https://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/

I got me one sweet deal on a TC on ebay awhile ago. $169 free ship, billet case, furnace brazed turbine, double clutch and low stall 1800 RPM. No I won't sell it.

www.racerxusa.com Won't work for me, My security say's is contaminated. Won't let me open even the secure site.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I think I'm going with a Eagle X4TC and tugger shift kit, Should be a good combo for those go pedal fun days;burnout

That is a real good combo. :thumbsup:

One important note with the Tugger kit. Keep the hole in the calibration plate on the small side. Specially the 1-2 shift. You can open the holes to firm the shifts. People using this kit tend to think bigger is better, then find out that was totally wrong when the tranny is shifting harsh.:eek:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

One important note with the Tugger kit. Keep the hole in the calibration plate on the small side. Specially the 1-2 shift. You can open the holes to firm the shifts. People using this kit tend to think bigger is better, then find out that was totally wrong when the tranny is shifting harsh.:eek:

This is one case where bigger is not always better. Its easy to drop the VB down to redrill it to go bigger to make the shift firmer. Much harder to go backwards...

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yea I dont want harsh just crisp instead of the juice box slide LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, you can change the TPS/FIPL voltage setting, at idle setting, up the voltage to 1.02 volts, makes the tranny shift a little later RPM wise, raises the pump pressure a little which makes for a more firmer shift. Try it and see what happens before you rebuild it.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what its set at right now,Shifts really nice light throttle shft 1700 half throttle 2200 hits good no slip or delay just soft, the only delay is into OD/Lock most likely from the converter

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
That's what its set at right now,Shifts really nice light throttle shft 1700 half throttle 2200 hits good no slip or delay just soft, the only delay is into OD/Lock most likely from the converter

not trying to high jack here, but holy crap. the ONLY way i can get those shift points is by like blowing on my throttle pedal. if i took off from a stop slow enough for it to shift that low in the rpm's, i would be getting run over by loaded semi trucks. the only way for me to get my truck moving in a decent amount of time is to pour the coal it it. i have tried adjusting my tps and all that gets me is pissed off LOL. there is no fine tuning with my tps.

i would say that 90% of all my shifts happen between 2500 rpm and 3000 rpm. my foot is not THAT heavy either.

i have my own thread going over on FTE about the darn tps setting, i am sure you've seen it SHARPIE.

high jack over lol