Lets Talk IP Timing

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've only ever had one DPS pump to compare against. I think it would be unfair to unequivicably state that the Moose Pump does. All I can say is that the Moose Pump I have on the Moose Truck outperforms the DPS pump that I had on it.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Thanks Mel.

So, I need to check timing, check for air leaks, check that my pump is turned up to max.

Beyond that I could get a Moose pump, maybe a larger downpipe (2.5" now) and maybe get a bigger garrett turbo. Money, money, monnnneeeeey!:D :D :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, my comments didn't take into account an IC, but all things being relative, they would still hold true. It would definetly be true for an NA motor. Case in point, when I bought the Lady Moose I followed her home in the wife's Windstar, and it didn't smoke at all, even on good sized hills. When I got it home, the timing was around 5.5. After getting it to 8.5, she started rolling black smoke they way they should. Smoke on startup is usually cold injectors. They tend to leak and dribble until they warm up, so start up smoke is not an indicator of much. That smoke you see coming from the Moose Truck in my avatar is with 3 pissy injectors in it.

So you'd suggest advancing the IP a bit more? I just looked at it, and getting to that one bolt on the passenger side will be interesting, to say the least... Also, I remember in an article I read either here or at TDS it said to use a 3/4" wrench to turn the pump - well, I couldn't find nothing to slip that wrench on, can someone post a pic of what I should grab on the pump to turn it? Thanks!

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Sooo...what if you are looking for more fuel milage than power and black smoke. I guess when I read "10mpg" and "empty rig", I have my questions. I was hoping to get close to 18 with my swap. Eventually I will put a turbo on it but I have to wonder.

Chris

sassyrel

Reaction score
to add------if you advance it toooo much--youll be replacing gp's on a regular basis--been there----goes like scat--but i dont like doing gp's---esp with fac turbo---and under hard pull--mine will go past 13--but i back out of it, as i dont want to go into meltdown---i have fac turbo--with ats add ons,boost turned up--and fuel turned up--i had a regular ip turned up at the diesel shop i deal with--he said he set it so it wasnt maxing fuel----but way up there--but he said at max youd be wasting---and this was put on a rack and calibrated----

suv7734

Reaction score
Also, I remember in an article I read either here or at TDS it said to use a 3/4" wrench to turn the pump - well, I couldn't find nothing to slip that wrench on, can someone post a pic of what I should grab on the pump to turn it? Thanks!

Here's what you're looking for...

Attachments

• IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 44

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Sooo...what if you are looking for more fuel milage than power and black smoke. I guess when I read "10mpg" and "empty rig", I have my questions. I was hoping to get close to 18 with my swap. Eventually I will put a turbo on it but I have to wonder.

Chris

Reread, that was with ~ 8K of trailer and horses. Maybe a bit more. Pulling on hilly terrasin with some pretty steep grades. I usually get ! 17 empty.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what you're looking for...

Thanks man! Just advanced the pump a bit, like 1/8" at the marks, man was that bolt on the bottom passenger side a pain to get to! odd thing when I loosened all three bolts the pump just stayed there, if I put the wrench on it and try to turn it either way it would just return to that center position, and there were two marks there that were lined up, so I guess my pump was never advanced. haven't fired it up yet, gotta find some cardboard first as the exhaust pipe is pointing straight at my Lincoln's front end and I'd really like it to keep that sparkly blue color it has ;)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 10 in a big truck with all that weight in the hills is acceptable, maybe could gain a bit more if the timing were spot on. As far as smoke/power vs. mileage/emissions, as that oliverdiesel article points out ist a compromise, and yes the 8.5*BTDC and 1.5*ATDC specs are probably a compromise as well. If you advance it too far you can get into some bad effects like the aforementioned chewed up glow plugs, piston damage, hard tp start, very harsh operating noise etc. If you retard it too far you'll have no power, blue/white smoke, maybe hard to start. Of course if you get to +-2 degrees of spec you're probably pretty safe to at least have the thing run decent and not to damage anything, but that's just an uneducated opinion. If you can have it timed with the right tools its a good idea. As I say this, I'm driving around with a static timed truck even though I have the MT254 luminosity device, I don't have an adjustable strobe timing light so I have to beg borrow or rent one or just use my mechanic's. I'm curious as to how close I got it and what might still be on the table.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I fired it up, and it started pretty much immediately (so easier than its already easy regular starting), there was no white smoke either, I only moved her from the carport to my balcony and then back so I didn't have the chance to get her warm and go WOT to check for power gains and black smoke, but so far it seems a bit better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online