Let down by the blue oval...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
For the first time in a LONG time, the truck died and left me stranded.

Vicki and I went out last night, and when we came home I thought I'd move the truck away from the house as it was almost -30 and I didn't want that thing rattling away near the house in the morning when I went for work.

I got out of the car, walked over to the truck and put the keys in the ignition, turned them and waited....no WTS light....and no voltage drop.

GREAT, there goes the GP relay. I hit the starter after 30 seconds thinking maybe it cycled....no starter!! :eek:...on, something is amiss!!

I got out popped the hood and pulled the wire of the FSS.....no click. I had NO power to ANYTHING under my hood.

Mad, I slammed the hood down and parked the car...came inside as it was 930PM and getting close to the -30*C mark(-22F)

I got up this morning, and although a bit lighter, it wasn't ANY warmer..-25*C...f*****COLD!!

The constant duty solenoid I had supplying power to my under hood added in fuse panel decided it was done working for me...it was shot! I had to get a ride into town, buy another $20 solenoid (not a big deadl) and then come home and install it. 2 hours in the cold...bare handed and with only a light jacket and my fleece sweater. I was NOT happy!

But, all said and done, I should have had a spare solenoid in my tool box behind the seat. I think that's the plan once I get some money rolling. I'm laid off and on Employment Insurance right now...brought in $76 since December 23...I know I could be worse off, but it still sucks!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang man that sucks! But at least it happend in the driveway and not 100 miles from home.

Heath

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Heck I almost got stranded yesterday, test driving My truck (4wd conversion almost done) about 3 hours from home it just died as I was pulling to an exit at 65 mph. Good thing I always carry My tools when I drive any of My vehicles so I jumped out and realized I was out of diesel :idiot:, since My fuel sending units don't work I forgot to switch the tanks on the way back. The good thing about the piston lift pumps is they have a manual lever to pump fuel to the filter, open all the injector lines, crank for a few seconds, close the injector lines and START :D.
Got to get those sending unit working before this becomes a habit.:rolleyes:

Moral, fill up the tanks and always carry tools when You're away.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the first time in a LONG time, the truck died and left me stranded.

Vicki and I went out last night, and when we came home I thought I'd move the truck away from the house as it was almost -30 and I didn't want that thing rattling away near the house in the morning when I went for work.

I got out of the car, walked over to the truck and put the keys in the ignition, turned them and waited....no WTS light....and no voltage drop.

GREAT, there goes the GP relay. I hit the starter after 30 seconds thinking maybe it cycled....no starter!! :eek:...on, something is amiss!!

I got out popped the hood and pulled the wire of the FSS.....no click. I had NO power to ANYTHING under my hood.

Mad, I slammed the hood down and parked the car...came inside as it was 930PM and getting close to the -30*C mark(-22F)

I got up this morning, and although a bit lighter, it wasn't ANY warmer..-25*C...f*****COLD!!

The constant duty solenoid I had supplying power to my under hood added in fuse panel decided it was done working for me...it was shot! I had to get a ride into town, buy another $20 solenoid (not a big deadl) and then come home and install it. 2 hours in the cold...bare handed and with only a light jacket and my fleece sweater. I was NOT happy!

But, all said and done, I should have had a spare solenoid in my tool box behind the seat. I think that's the plan once I get some money rolling. I'm laid off and on Employment Insurance right now...brought in $76 since December 23...I know I could be worse off, but it still sucks!

That sux premiumly man, I hear you 100 percent on this, and the EI thing ya, least you are getting it, I got fired on the 19th DEC and no money since, no EI nadda thing...looking but no luck finding...So..

Keep that plan for a spare and get one ASAP man don't do this again, could be stuck on road somewhere in cold and no one come by...:rolleyes:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Riotwarrior, I bet we have both been stranded a few times in those brutal similkameen winter winds eh? Not fun!

Sorry to hear you have been out of work...

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Same here, never heard of them. Funny thing is just today someone asked me if I knew what one was.

I know what a constant duty solenoid is.

I use them, usually to remotely control other motors or to run power inverters only when the vehicle is running.

But we don't have constant duty solenoids, not the big heavy duty ones i'm thinking about under the hood of our trucks, even if mine is converted.

What i did on my conversion is use a 40amp heavy duty 5 pole relay to power the IP, cold start and such that gets triggered off my gasser coil power wire.

I do carry a spare one of these in my glove box and another in my drivers door pocket.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Same here, never heard of them. Funny thing is just today someone asked me if I knew what one was.

-As opposed to an intermittent duty solenoid, one that wont burn up being left on continuously. I use this 150A one (oversized, I know, it was for something else) for my fuel heater.

Attachments

• contduty.jpg
    contduty.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 16

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
-As opposed to an intermittent duty solenoid, one that wont burn up being left on continuously. I use this 150A one (oversized, I know, it was for something else) for my fuel heater.

I'm just trying to figure out why he has one under his hood to power his ip?

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score

Ummm, what? :dunno And why were you barehanded with no coat? Glad you got it sorted out though.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I have a constant duty solenoid mounted up just like that to power my trailer lights. Works great for that ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes.... He has done some cleanup from the PO of his truck.... he has mounted a fuse panel on the inner fender and runs everything from it.. his ele fuel pump, GP's IP and other things from it.. and it has a constant duty solenoid so it does not receive power when the "ignition" is off..... I remember him talking about this in another thread......

octopus

Reaction score
my block heater cord got nicked and quit working the other day, of course it was 8*F out. i don't think the truck let you down, just some added on parts