LED

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wire in resistors to add load or splice in an led bulb with turn signal, see what happens

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to wire in any resistors. What do the 4 ways do?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
leds take so little power to work that your flasher cant "see" the load. adding a resister would work but that defeats the purpose of having leds

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried ohm testing the old bulbs vs the LED's? If the whole circuit is a loop, and the flasher is sensitive to the impedence of the front bulbs, then you might have LED's that are essentially just giant resistors in there... In which case, the flasher doesn't get the juice it needs to perform it's duties...

(keep in mind, I am NOT an expert.... :D )

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resistors are cheap, easy way to test if the load isnt enough. I vaguely recall people putting these side lamps on relays like the headlights often are upgraded to, if so relays draw minimal power too... So why no issue?

Is there any common wiring between the headlights and signals - grounds or power? Something simple here is hindering you, just have to find it.

Leds have multiple advantages, efficiency is one but even with a resistor you still have much muuuch more lifespan.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best I could figure is , they should at least burn with the park lights or headlights on , I could understand if the signals don't , but what's got me is the signals will work with the headlights off, but if you turn the headlights on , nothing works ...as far as the signals , the marker lights under the headlights (the ones I put the LEDs in), and the rear don't flash either

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the parts stores I've talked too don't have a clue
You're probably going to have to look online. It would be easier if you have your old flasher onhand when looking. I think the OBS trucks use a different flasher design than '80-'91 trucks, which is part of why I haven't found anything (I'm also too lazy to go out to my truck and grab one of my flashers). If a flasher is the same size and has the same terminals as yours, it should work...and, just make sure that the one you have is compatible with LED bulbs.

Here's an example of an LED-compatible flasher, although this is for '99+ SuperDuty trucks...

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&productId=32102

tnthielen

Reaction score
You're probably going to have to look online. It would be easier if you have your old flasher onhand when looking. I think the OBS trucks use a different flasher design than '80-'91 trucks, which is part of why I haven't found anything (I'm also too lazy to go out to my truck and grab one of my flashers). If a flasher is the same size and has the same terminals as yours, it should work...and, just make sure that the one you have is compatible with LED bulbs.

Here's an example of an LED-compatible flasher, although this is for '99+ SuperDuty trucks...

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&productId=32102

Here is another one from lmctruck.com:

http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=66

It is part number 36-0356 "Electronic Flasher ... For LED Lights"

It's on my to-do list... $15 is a possible cheap fix...

-Todd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online