leaky power steering box......

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well....on to the next issue cookoo

Seems now the power steering box is wet and the steering wheel growls....even with full fluid:confused:

Are they end user re-buildable or just r+r a new one?....one thing I have never done LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where does the leak look like its comeing from?if its from the pitman arm there is a seal inside there that can be replaced.rent a pitman arm puller and remove the pitman arm.now look up inside where the shaft goes into the box.you will see a snap ring.remove the snap ring.now fire the beast up and keep turning the wheel lock to lock.when its at full lock hold it there with a good amount of pressure on the wheel.the seal will eventually pop out.i believe there are 4 pieces to the seal.you should have a dust seal,oil seal,and 2 steel rings.now slide all the new pieces up inside the box and replace the snap ring.the seal will have instructions on how everything goes back in.

the groaning sound is most likely from air in the system.you may never get rid of it,even with a new box and pump.fords powersteering systems have always had a whine to them.i ask mine if it would like some cheese and crackers to go with its whine :rotflmao :rotflmao

sassyrel

Reaction score
cheese and crackers--comedians--george take the damn atf out of the pump--and use regular power steering fluid from napa or somesuch--atf is tooooo thin-no shear strength--as 450 said--also--have someone outside watching--for when seal blows--cause you cant always feel it--and when it blows--shut right off--cause the ford pumps will burn and score easily also--

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The manual does call for Mercon....truck has had synth power steering fluid since I got it and thios is the first time any issues cookoo

Now it specifies Mercon....MercV straight or synth :confused:

sassyrel

Reaction score
george-and f450--either one ever take the plastic--or the old steel can pump apart???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? the guts are the SAME--ok???? and the way old steel can pumps had a green colored fluid about the same weight as 50 oil--no joke--the only drawback--in winter--steering was a bit slow till oil warmed----so what--but here was the drawback--for the customer--the pumps wear out with thin oils--i have taken some of the old pumps that had the old green fluid in them apart--with 150,000 miles on them--and NO wear--guess why?????? ford tells you that--so they can sell pumps!!!!!! but its your money---and your time--heres another one--guess what the old autos in cars had for oil in them--a derative of whale oil--yup--and--some of them had brass clutches--instead of friction material--can you say last forever---but then no car co can sell parts!!!!!!! your call----

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online