leaking out of fuel filter

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason, diesel fuel is leaking out of my filter. I replaced it about 2 months ago. when its idling, a small puddle will build up under it. and sometimes when i come to a stop, i see smoke coming out from the hood, i would assume where its dripping on the engine. Is it possible to overtighten it, or have it too loose?
thanks

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could it be comming from the plug on to that powers teh fuel heater? if so its an easy fix by just replacing the o rings underneath. you will have to pull the filter off and remove the fuel heater if so. teh o rings are pretty common but if you cant find them i have seen people use rtv in a pinch.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back someone had this issue, and I think it was a bad filter. Think it was 6nebraskaIDIs, if memory serves me. Something along the lines of the o-ring groove not formed correctly or something. But if it hasnt leaked for two months, id say it has vibrated loose possibly, maybe not tight enough from the exchange.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could it be comming from the plug on to that powers teh fuel heater? if so its an easy fix by just replacing the o rings underneath. you will have to pull the filter off and remove the fuel heater if so. teh o rings are pretty common but if you cant find them i have seen people use rtv in a pinch.

is it a plug thats on top of the filter?

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no im pretty sure its around the bottom. i had someone rev it up, and it would spurt out a small amount. maybe around the bottom piece, i cant tell.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a big oring in the bottom of the filter between the filter and the water separator. You should get a new one with a new fuel filter. I'd go buy one, change it and see if your problem goes away.

Good luck.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
no im pretty sure its around the bottom. i had someone rev it up, and it would spurt out a small amount. maybe around the bottom piece, i cant tell.

I would make it real easy on yourself and do away with the 2 piece filter as they are a real pain in the A%^&%*. :mad: You can now go to Napa and buy a one piece Napa Gold filter (WIX) with the water drain and the sensor port for your WIF light. You just remove the WIF sensor from the bottom of your old housing and replace the o-ring (which comes with the new filter) and screw it in the bottom of the new filter. Now you have a one piece filter with a drain and the WIF sensor. ;Sweet Filter cost about $40.00 and you have solved your leak problem. That's all I use anymore.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang i should have got that. i went to oreilly's and bought the cheaper one, and it still leaks. but i dont know where the sensor is your talking about