Leaking Injector Line

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would the number one injector line start leaking at the ip all of a sudden. I was driving home yesterday and it starting missing real bad and I smelt fuel, I thought it was the lift pump because there was alot of fuel all around it so I changed it today to find I still have the problem. Started looking around and found fuel leaking at the nut on the #1 injector line leaking at the ip. I took it off and inspected it but it looks ok to me so I reinstalled it and it still leaks no matter how tight I can get it. Is this a common problem.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Are you sure its the steel line leaking? Does your truck have the clamps on the lines to keep it from vibrating and cracking? Maybe its coming from the filter to ip connect its the only line that uses an olive to seal it.

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is the line. I used a mirror to look at it and I can see it ******* on the bottom side of the nut. I do have the clamps on it for vibration.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Have you recently done any work on it in the area where its leaking? I dont recall ever hearing anyone have troubles with the lines leaking. Have you taken it all the way off to look at the threads on the line and check the threads at the injector pump to. Make sure there there and not messed up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its time for a replacement line and the fitting on the pump. Many ebay offers at this time for the lines. figure a new line is around $50.00 but you can spend that same $50.00 and get a complete set of 8 used lines too... I have several new and used sets of lines but I'm on the west coast....

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just took the line off again for further inspection and found a hairline crack at the base of the flare where the nut seats against the flare. So I am in need of a replacement #1 injector hardline. Icanfixall, I did see the whole set you are referring to, I will probably entertain that deal, but I really need my truck tomorrow and will do a quick search locally in the morning at some junkyards. This is probably self inflicted, I just did my orings and return lines, and had a hard time with a couple of the lines (patience is a virtue). Lesson learned. Thanks for your help.-cuss

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
That has happend to me more than once. im assuming it was from vibration and I did have the clamps on the line.
My lines had hairline cracks on the flare also...just as you're describing. All id did was rob lines off a parts motor and problem solved....lucky me for having parts kickin around I guess.

I have never had the actual fittings that the lines connect to in the pumps leak before.

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried hard brake lines as a replacement? Looks like they would hold up to the pressure. I used some to replace the vacuum line to my C6, which had rubbed a hole in itself against the bellhousing. Very easy stuff to work with. You could get the flare tool from Harbor Freight and re-use the nuts... If you had to have something NOW and the junkyards were closed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A brake line will not work. The flair ends are differant. These fuel injector hard lines are made as one piece.The nuts are put on the lines. Then ends are made then the lines are bent... I broke number 2 line years ago. I felt I could run without the vibration dampners after I did the return lines.... Big mistake. The line broke right at the edge of the flair. Around $400.00 at a now closed dealership I'm driving again. I asked for the broken line... Took it to work and investigated what happened and how I could fix it.... No way of fixing it. I ground off half of the side of the line and flair looking for a seam between the two... I used a die penatrant process we used to find cracks in high pressure boiler tubes and rotating equiptment.... No seam at all. Just the crack half way around the line... You really could not actually see the crack either unless you did the die check... Some members have used tubing unions when the lines rub a hole in them but thats not a safe thing todo. It will get you home but don't push your luck....

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wonder, if you could make a flare die that matched, if this couldn't be made to work. Not gonna try it, mine are doing fine, vibe dampers are there, but just a thought...

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it turns out my ford dealer got me the line overnight for $33.71 out the door. I quess it helps to have a ford racecar that your dealer likes. That was pretty painless since none of the junkyards by me have any idi parts.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online