Large Capacity rear fuel tank

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Hello everyone, there used to be a thread in the archives on how to install a new plastic fuel tank I believe from a bronco. I would appreciate if someone can point me to that thread if it is still available, I've searched for it in the archives and IDI forum but only find similar with out part numbers. Thanks in advance.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
FWIW, Dodge and Ford pickups have the same width frames for many years. I've been wondering if a Dodge plastic tanks would be a good swap... you do have to find them used though - not aware of aftermarket ones.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I found a few threads but all seemed to have pieces of information, but I think I remember reading the article about a 38 gallon tank but there was an issue with the fill tube or something, also the one I remember was plastic. The one on My truck needs to go so I thought what a better time than this to install a larger tank.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The letter difference (F26A/D/E) on the Spectra tanks denotes a difference in the opening for the pickup/sender. It changed over the generations. So figure out what stock size Spectra tank your truck would use (I believe the stock size series is F1<x>), and whatever letter suffix that tank is, get that same one in the F26 series.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Ford went to the large opening in the tank in 1985. They did this to accommodate the in tank fuel pumps they started using in the fuel injected 302's and some of the 460 equipped trucks which had in tank electric pumps also. When they did this they made all the openings larger across all different configurations, even if the truck did not have a in tank pump.

So I am assuming the very early diesel trucks had the small opening only.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online