Lack of cab heat

7bicks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is cold and getting colder here. My cab heat is alright but not near enough to keep good and warm.
I have blocked the lower 1/4 of my radiator to improve engine heat as it really does not like to stay up in the normal operating range. I do have a thermostat so I know that it isn't running open.

Any tricks, tips or suggestions to really get the cab heated up?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
It's possible that the heater core is becoming plugged and over time they will loose their ability to flow enough coolant to transfer enough heat.

Looking into the radiator is there evidence of crud buildup around the coolant passages?

That's known as solder bloom and if ya got it there, you'll have it in the heater core.

As far as blocking the radiator, try blocking the upper half as that's where the largest quantity of heat will be at.

7bicks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a new radiator so it is clean and I am not sure on the heater core as I have only had the truck for about 9 months.
Does anybody know where the recirculating door is on a 94 as well as the temp control valve?
I am afraid it is all in the dash somewhere.
Is is possible to reach the fan to lube it up a bit as well, I have heard can help airflow?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The fan doors are a problem on these trucks, but I'd check the thermostat first. You need to run an oem T-Stat. Motorcraft, or IH.

The after markets ones don't function properly in our rigs

7bicks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just froze my fingers outside.
I did figure out the recirculating door and zip tied it shut, blocked off more radiator and sprayed some lube into the fan through the air vent(?) on the side of the motor.
Cab now smells like liquid wrench.....

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to block any of the radiator to get GREAT heat. My 85 will burn You outta the cab, even when temps are well below zero.

Check the thermostat. I'd almost bet You that there's an after market unit in there.

Squirting liquid wrench into a vent isn't going to do anything??:dunno

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
its pretty common on this bodystyle for the blend door to not close because of stuff blocking it. stuff like ammo, pens, saw files and other stuff falls down the defrosters and ends up not letting the blend door go to the full hot position. you can get to it behind the glove box.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should remove your fan (it's just a few screws holding it in from inside the engine compartment) and reach down in there and pull all the crap out. I'd be willing to bet a good bit of your air flow is restricted. As was stated, these trucks will chase you out of the cab if the heat is left on high. What does your water temp gauge say? Blocking the rad is not necessary.

7bicks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be around 10 degrees tomorrow so I may tackle the fan then. With an unknown history and the amount of crud and crap I found under the seats, anything is possible.
I only have the stock temp gauge but since it got cold the needle won't even hit the "N" on normal.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
my t stat is good, it is a ford one, and the blower blows good. my temp gauge barely moves towards the "N" on normal. i have a billet grill and its a bout -20 with a -30 windchill but it used to make more heat in my truck, and blocking the rad it doesnt help much. could it be my mixing vent that is plugged up as well? cause there is some heat but not to cook you out like the typical ford heater

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
didja check the t stat in a pan of boiling water and a thermometer, before You put it in?

I've had plenty of brand new t stats not open at the proper temp.

More than likely the blend door is not sealing properly. You can partialy access it when You remove the blower. The hinges tend to break, and the seals around the edges deteriorate.