Knowledgeable opinions needed please 7.3 IDI

christian_s

Reaction score
Will be going to take a second look at a truck here in the coming week and figured I would post up here to you all a few photos and vid of motor running to just see if anyone had any glaring input I was overlooking. Ive done some pretty decent research on here, Expo Portal, ford forums etc over the past week or so, and took a decent check list with me upon first look.

Truck is a 91 F350 7.3 IDI automatic dually (ex military ambo). Has just over 100k on the clock, upon first checking it out it fired up(took about 3-4 cranks), ran, idled, and drove. Fired up (again 3-4 cranks) after driving around a bit and restarting. I took it for a spin around the block, went through all the gears, test the 4x4, didn't over heat, etc. Truck seemed clean upon crawling underneath, no oil leaking or coating the underside, no coolant drips etc. PO had put a new rad in it but other than that bone stock truck.

I am pretty say as far as car mechanics go however have never worked on or owned a diesel...hence why I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw up some photos and get the input of you fine folks!

You must be registered for see images attach

https://youtu.be/ACsRlJ0ZNGA

Appreciate any insight, heckling, flaming and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4403.jpg
    IMG_4403.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4406.jpg
    IMG_4406.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4404.jpg
    IMG_4404.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 33

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any limitations to that 11,000 gvw being registered for use in California?

christian_s

Reaction score
Shouldn't be, it is already currently reg in CA with tags that are fresh until March 2016. I didn't think to dig deeper since it was already reg and what not.

Good call though, worth a little research.

CS

christian_s

Reaction score
One thing I did notice was the brake pedal felt pretty soft...am I just thinking this bc its such a big pig? Fluid was full, but it still felt pretty soft to me...im sure fresh breaks wouldn't hurt it either way.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That engine sounds super good. As far as brakes, might just need bled and the rear brake shoes tightened up.. Nice clean engine department. Whats the price?

christian_s

Reaction score
That engine sounds super good. As far as brakes, might just need bled and the rear brake shoes tightened up.. Nice clean engine department. Whats the price?

Appreciate the insight Bill! He's asking 5k, I'm more inclined to offer less as I would drain every fluid in that thing, filters etc upon really driving and using (diffs, tranny, motor, tcase, etc). The electrical is all really clean still too, the stock panel and inverters haven't been ***** and pillaged/gutted.

After hearing it and seeing a couple pics at that price...still think it would be a solid truck?

Thanks!

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjust the back brakes should fix that softness . The adjuster wheel has to be turned upwards . I just did mine and its a big difference.

christian_s

Reaction score
Adjust the back brakes should fix that softness . The adjuster wheel has to be turned upwards . I just did mine and its a big difference.

Noted, thank you for the tip! Gave me a bit of a scare at first....bone head move not to check the pedal as I was pulling away. Came to a stop sign and started for the pedal and as it pushed with not much response...def got my attention haha!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds ok...do check on weight n use of truck past regi...something to do with older super duties amd cannot be used in cali any more @towcat may know more.

If uou ever want to be rid of siren grille let me know.

A Hydroboost coversion would completely change those brakes too btw...just did one in my truck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's under !4k/lbs gvw. he's fine.
currently, the law is in place to run the older trucks off the road but funding has not been provided to enforce the law. there's no telling what is going to happen when the next governor is sworn in. Meanwhile, DMV is still registering and collecting reg fees on F450's etc....

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is that new Cali law on f-super duty trucks just the diesels or the 460 trucks too?

sorry for the hijack!

christian_s

Reaction score
Will look into that brake boost, thanks. No worries on the hijack at all! All relative info for me as well!

Cheers everyone and if anyone has more insight please do post up!

Last edited:

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only armchair technician advice I could offer is watch out for good Leece Neville alternator spares.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online