Knowledgeable opinions needed please 7.3 IDI

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good off hand,,killer bivouac unit, did ya verrify the odo from the pink?
IIrc the new pinks show the odo at time of sale, these roll over at 10" k (???) I think!

The 4x4x4 door chebbie in my sig was a cdf rig,,, never registered in cal dmv( read nightmare)

christian_s

Reaction score
IIrc the new pinks show the odo at time of sale, these roll over at 10" k (???) I think!

The 4x4x4 door chebbie in my sig was a cdf rig,,, never registered in cal dmv( read nightmare)

ODO reading was from owner/off the dash....Yea I believe you are correct in that they roll over at 100K. PO said the same thing and a little research is revealing it to be the case.

Interesting regarding the Reg issues...what class were you trying to reg it under? I was reading some other good threads on this (ill find and post it in here again) talking about commercial vs reg car reg as well as RV reg. Sounds like the only way to do a truck in CA at all is as commercial here in CA...goes for most any trucks from what I was reading as well. The RV opt though may be doable as well. Let me get you that link!

CS

christian_s

Reaction score

Here is a link: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/859994-dmv-commercial-question.html

and the main points from the CA Gov...

Here is a little info to help everyone figure out what they've got.

California Vehicle Code:
471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross
vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight
of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open
box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not
include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that
is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly
called a "utility body."

This tells you what you've got. If it isn't a pickup truck then it's a commercial truck. As for the shovels in the bed, there is often more to the story then told. If you're using your pickup truck to haul a bunch of plants home for your home improvement project then you're fine. Now if that truck has a business name on the door you're screwed. If you're hauling that shovel to and from a job site then you're probably still screwed. Point is that if you're using your truck to haul anything for a business then you'll likely loose that fight in court. Hauling stuff home or your buddies house on saturday then you're likely ok.

Now for the housecar registration issue. Here is the code to define what will make your truck a housecar.

California Health and Safety Code: 18010. "Recreational vehicle" means both of the following:
(a) A motor home, travel trailer, truck camper, or camping
trailer, with or without motive power, designed for human habitation
for recreational, emergency, or other occupancy, that meets all of
the following criteria:
(1) It contains less than 320 square feet of internal living room
area, excluding built-in equipment, including, but not limited to,
wardrobe, closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or
toilet rooms.
(2) It contains 400 square feet or less of gross area measured at
maximum horizontal projections.
(3) It is built on a single chassis.
(4) It is either self-propelled, truck-mounted, or permanently
towable on the highways without a permit.
(b) A park trailer, as defined in Section 18009.3.

This is the section you need to meet to register your truck as a housecar (RV). If your shell or camper or whatever you want to call it meets this code then you can change your registration over to a housecar. Saves big bucks! But if you take the camper off the truck then once again you're screwed! Use it to haul stuff to and from work, screwed again. Basically just stay within the codes and you'll be fine. But don't think for a minute that the cops don't know about these sections and aren't watching out for this stuff. You might pull it off for a while but if you get caught expect to pay big bucks to the state.

Finally here is the code section that we're talking about

California Vehicle Code: 362. A "house car" is a motor vehicle originally designed, or
permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation, or to which a
camper has been permanently attached. A motor vehicle to which a
camper has been temporarily attached is not a house car except that,
for the purposes of Division 11 (commencing with Section 21000) and
Division 12 (commencing with Section 24000), a motor vehicle equipped
with a camper having an axle that is designed to support a portion
of the weight of the camper unit shall be considered a three-axle
house car regardless of the method of attachment or manner of
registration. A house car shall not be deemed to be a motortruck.

This is where the permanently attached part gets you. What constitutes permanently attached? Well the simple answer is attached to your chasis just like any other permanent part of your vehicle. Will 4 bolts in the bed count? Probably not. More bolts into the chasis? Probably so.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cs....
I was using the truck as a lic.b general contractor,,, so reg. Comercial plates, gvw under 10k( yes its a mouse), biggest issue was it not in system.
As for the rv / commercial, last I heard the rv had some wording prohibiting commercial ( for hire) use???!
I will read the links later on when I catch up.
Thanx cb

christian_s

Reaction score
Cs....
I was using the truck as a lic.b general contractor,,, so reg. Comercial plates, gvw under 10k( yes its a mouse), biggest issue was it not in system.
As for the rv / commercial, last I heard the rv had some wording prohibiting commercial ( for hire) use???!
I will read the links later on when I catch up.
Thanx cb

As in your truck didn't exist in CA DMV system? I know this one is already in their system as a commercial reg vehicle. Would I be able to reg it commercial again or is that not an option if I don't have a company it is under?

CS

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As in your truck didn't exist in CA DMV system? I know this one is already in their system as a commercial reg vehicle. Would I be able to reg it commercial again or is that not an option if I don't have a company it is under?

CS
depending on the construction and final assembly, most trucks and vans fall under commercial plates even if they are for private use. a truck or van with a finished interior or just a camper shell, can be plated with passenger (RV) plates. your ambulance is eligible for RV plates. if they want to inspect it, strap down a portapotty in the back before you go in.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^ this is what I woulda said.
Edit in... Yep dmv had no record of the vin# ( best part is its a transition year normally either a 2x4,c or 4x4,k series so its got a v series vin) so I had to get it verrifiedthru chp, and star station/ gold shield/refferee
Near as I can tell dmv will issue comercial plates to a 75 cc moped if ya want to pay weight fees:rotflmao so you are golden. Sounds like the rig is /has been thru dmv after leaving uncle sam?( my guess) if so the comercial plates should be good to go.

Last edited:

christian_s

Reaction score
^^^^ this is what I woulda said.
Near as I can tell dmv will issue comercial plates to a 75 cc moped if ya want to pay weight fees:rotflmao so you are golden. Sounds like the rig is /has been thru dmv after leaving uncle sam?( my guess) if so the comercial plates should be good to go.

Yea def has. It has a current CA plate and current reg until March 2016. Phew. Haha Any guesses what the weight fees are on this hog?

christian_s

Reaction score
depending on the construction and final assembly, most trucks and vans fall under commercial plates even if they are for private use. a truck or van with a finished interior or just a camper shell, can be plated with passenger (RV) plates. your ambulance is eligible for RV plates. if they want to inspect it, strap down a portapotty in the back before you go in.

Great info thank you!

Wonder which is cheaper...Commercial or RV reg?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both my 1 tons were -+250-300
Dmv.ca.gov
Might have some info.
Towcat can probably give ya a #.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads