Kick the tires and light the fires

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thats what i'm talkin about;Sweet

boy the old oil pressure guage takes it sweet time doesn't it?:eek:

definitly a slightly different sound out of a 7.3 vs. a 6.9. my former boss's 7.3 started just like yours does. when i started it that is. he tends to kill the batts before it fires as a rule.

funny how the cold blooded IDIs hover around the Great Lakes:puke: . did i mention i need to move south and west?

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
it was 8 degrees at my house this morning, i didnt even try to start my idi, i will leave her plugged in. need to put some new glow plugs in it!! it didnt want to start yesterday and it wasnt even that cold. ;Pissed i am glad i got the ole toyota. My 93 is a XLT and it has every whistle and button known to man, the only thing it doesnt have that i know of is captains chairs and wood trim, if that was even offered.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
thats what i'm talkin about;Sweet

boy the old oil pressure guage takes it sweet time doesn't it?:eek:

definitly a slightly different sound out of a 7.3 vs. a 6.9. my former boss's 7.3 started just like yours does. when i started it that is. he tends to kill the batts before it fires as a rule.

funny how the cold blooded IDIs hover around the Great Lakes:puke: . did i mention i need to move south and west?

Ya that oil did take it's sweet time.
I smoked the batteries on it yesterday waaaaaay before she wanted to fire.

Here's a challenge to the guru's

Putting the block heaters on a timer is good so ya'll don't kill the electric bill.

But how's about a temp sensor/relay combo to monitor the coolant temps up to a specified temp and then shuts down the heater till needed again.cookoo
The sensor would have to be tied into the head of course.

Any thoughts?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
ooh a thermostatically controlled block heater setup. that would be sweet for quicker cab heat if nothing else.

right nowi just set my timer from 3 am to noon and whenever i get out there the truck will start

pafixitman

Reaction score
I know we have hijacked this post but...

When i installed the new heads I put in a Motorcraft t-stat. The past couple of times I have driven the truck I noticed the gauge never got above about 125*. Last night I drove 32 miles and did not have heat when i got home! I always thought the t-stat would stay closed and circulate the coolant through the motor and the head fed the heater core. If that is true is my t-stat opening too soon? I assume the coolant in the block would get above 125* in 32 miles.:confused:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
here's a thought. it would take a little trial and error but it's doable.

on my timer it has a dial with prongs you push to turn on the power. it's an outdoor model rated at 15 amps with a little door on it to keep things dry etc. i got it at wal mart for 10 bucks i think.

anyway, just set the timer so that it fires for 3 hours before you would normally go to work or need you truck for whatever. the have it cycle on for 1/2 hour, off 45 mins or something like that. or just have it cycle like that constantly. not sure how fast the block loses heat but wind has a lot to do with that.

not sure how a head mounted temp sensor would do without the water pump circulating coolant.:confused: there is some convection though.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score

When i installed the new heads I put in a Motorcraft t-stat. The past couple of times I have driven the truck I noticed the gauge never got above about 125*. Last night I drove 32 miles and did not have heat when i got home! I always thought the t-stat would stay closed and circulate the coolant through the motor and the head fed the heater core. If that is true is my t-stat opening too soon? I assume the coolant in the block would get above 125* in 32 miles.:confused:

you definitly have a problem. my IDI heater will cook you out no matter how cold it is. 10 miles max to full heat on the coldest day

maybe you got a bad stat. :confused: could there be some gunk in there jamming it open?

pafixitman

Reaction score
That is what I am afraid happened. In the past it always went to 190 ish, dropped back, went up, dropped etc. You could watch the gauge and know when the stat opened and closed. Like the oil leak though it is going to wait a bit for warmer weather! I ain't playing in coolant during a negative degree wind chill!

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I am afraid happened. In the past it always went to 190 ish, dropped back, went up, dropped etc. You could watch the gauge and know when the stat opened and closed. Like the oil leak though it is going to wait a bit for warmer weather! I ain't playing in coolant during a negative degree wind chill!

ahhh comon Joe its called antifreeze it will keep you from freezing won't it?:rotflmao :rotflmao Seriously though I would say you have a problem with that stat. Mine will warm up to about 190 or so while running 45+mph but below that it stays between 165 - 190 still warm enough to run you out of the cab if you leave it on high.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This thread has taken so many twists and turns it prolly doesn't matter any more, sure was alot of fun though.

The old IDI fired up without a complaint around 20 something this morning. First time I ever used a block heater, because the GP controller just went on the fritz and was surprised at the difference it made.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
tonkadoctor said:
This thread has taken so many twists and turns it prolly doesn't matter any more, sure was alot of fun though.
;Sweet
Was, heck let's keep her goin where's the spirit.:D

Wished I had the camera tonight. 1.6 degrees out and 20 minutes with a jump start,
she definilty stared up as a six banger........Easy Trav, no bright idears there buddy.:backoff

When it gets a wee bit warmer, i'm gonna have to find them bad plugs.
I must admit she did sound tough lighting off.;Really

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
it was -5 last night and only 0 all day so the score today IDI 1 PSD -2 neither mine or my buddys PSD would start but my wife went to work and home just fine in the IDI. I know I got some glow plugs out in my psd but my buddys are all in top shape and it still wouldn't start

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle