kerosene ???

johnson4

Reaction score
I have friend that puts kerosene in his power stroke becuse it"s cheaper then diesel. He said that he also put"s 2 qt of oil in there for lubricantion.
I was wondering if thats good/safe. Ur opinion greatly appreciated thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Kerosene is a refined dry (meaning no oil like diesel) diesel. Same as jet fuel. It will burn cleaner but you need to add oil so it lubricates the injection pump and injectors. Be careful what oil you add to it. Some will leave an ash deposit in the combustion chamber and on the injector tips. Remember too that no road tax is being paid on it so if the revenures dipped your tank and could determine what you are burning you may be in for a large fine.... Would I run it if I had some.... Sure would.... Heating oil is the same or really close to number 1 and 2 diesel.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Really Gary? So if one were to do this how many quarts of oil would they have to add to keep everything properly lubricated per factory sized tank? Also, what oil would cut down on the ash?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
If you do run the kerosene the oil you want to use is 2 cycle oil, the brand you need to look for is Supertech (Walmart) Thats the only brand I know of that is the ashless that Icanfixall is talking about/

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Hm, interesting...I've actually never considered doing so.....I guess it would depend on the price ha ha ha. Is there any advantage to the heating oil as opposed to regular diesel? Higher cetane or anything?

johnson4

Reaction score
thanks icanfixall I thought he was just messing his motor up. He puts motor oil in his tanks. He also said that he never runs it back to back always alternates diesel to kerosene and so forth. diesel prices here where i live as high as 419 a gallon. boo

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I'm at K1 is about a dollar cheaper a gallon than diesel.

I was going to use it to cut my WMO.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the dyed K1? I'm not going to criticize anyone for the tax evasion issue because that's none of my business but if it is dyed they can find you out and if they do the savings will be out the window and it'll be a bad day in your part of the world. I actually tried to find the K1 without the dye here in the winter time to use to cut my biodiesel for winter operation but nearly all of it here was the red fuel, where I did find the clear K1 it was a good bit more than diesel. I would have been ok with that at least as an experiment because my fuel was cheap and it probably thins the bio out a little more than diesel but not with the risk of the 10,000 dollar fine.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the dyed K1? I'm not going to criticize anyone for the tax evasion issue because that's none of my business but if it is dyed they can find you out and if they do the savings will be out the window and it'll be a bad day in your part of the world. I actually tried to find the K1 without the dye here in the winter time to use to cut my biodiesel for winter operation but nearly all of it here was the red fuel, where I did find the clear K1 it was a good bit more than diesel. I would have been ok with that at least as an experiment because my fuel was cheap and it probably thins the bio out a little more than diesel but not with the risk of the 10,000 dollar fine.

the stuff in my local pump (the ONE station with a k1 pump still) is clear as water. I use about 25 gallons during the winter feeding my heater in the garage for weekend wrenching. I don't like the left overs sitting around, so I was going to thin WMO with it until I ran out. I think the chances of a tax man dipping my old ass privately owned Uhaul RV are pretty slim since it's only going to be on the road about 4 times a year.

What's the legality of that anyway? I for sure would want to see a warrant before I opened my tank, but that's just the kind of guy I am. I will not submit to a random "I'm going to check your tank" request.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the legality of that anyway? I for sure would want to see a warrant before I opened my tank, but that's just the kind of guy I am. I will not submit to a random "I'm going to check your tank" request.

That would fall under the "driving is a privilege, not a right". About 5 seconds after you refuse to let them dip your tank, they will proceed to call the wrecker and take the whole truck, and possibly your license also.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yep. if they want to dip it they can. if u put a screen in the tube to prevent it, they will unscrew a filter or drain some out of the water seperator.....i been dipped once