kelsey trailer brake

olivera149

Reaction score
i have an old kelsey trailer brake controller that i am trying to dial in right now, before a bobcat tow in a couple weeks. I just got done cleaning all the connections and everything cause i wasnt getting power to it. After mopping all the connections it works fine, at least it functions and has power now.

My question is does anybody have a manual or a way of contacting the company for a owners manual? I am the guy that always reads the manual before anything, and i always seem to pick up a tip or two on things i would have never known. Is there a way to test with a voltmeter to see if the brake power knob is working?

This will be my biggest tow so far, somewhere around 10,000 lbs with the trailer, bobcat and brushcutter attachment with about 30 gallons of spare fuel ontop of full tanks. Turbo is sounding better and better, but i hope my 4:10s will pull me through on this one.

TIA

Ryan

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You failed to mention if your controller was electronic or hydraulic/electric.

If it is the one that is triggered by a hydraulic brake-line connected to the back, then just turn everything all the way up.

A brake-controller will not put any more current to the brake-wire than a straight wire from the battery will, and that, oft times, isn't enough; so, I always set every switch and knob to the maximum setting, regardless of the load.

Hope this helps.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Is this one of the ramp/time delay types... Meaning that it triggers when it senses the brakes lights are on?

If so then you should have two levers that will adjust the maximum current going to the brakes and the other adjusts how quickly that happens.

Typically there is a lever on the left hand side of the controller that adjusts how quickly it reacts then the other dial adjusts the max current to the brakes (how hard they actually stop).

Then there is the manual slider on the front face that you can slide off to the left that will acutate the trailer brakes without having to touch the brake pedal on the truck.

Best thing I can say is just play with it. I had one for quite a while and it just takes practice to get it dialed in but sadly they are the lowest form of brake controller on the market but it's better than nothing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle