Just received new ATS turbo kit, but...

scfdiesel

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has recently bought an ATS turbo kit? What I received looks nothing like the turbo kit in their new product catalog or online for the 7.3idi kit. The new kit is supposed to have an Aurora 2000 turbo. I received one that does not say this on the side and is painted purple. I have called but not open on weekends. My thought is that I'm new to diesels and didn't come across as knowledgeable as their typical customer and he has pawned an older kit off on me to get rid of??? any input would be appreciated before I talk to them tomorrow. Thanks. :dunno

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sounds like the new Aurora to me. Atleast the ones listed all over Ebay from them are purple. It should still have the same basic design as the old wastegated turbo system though. Just has a bigger turbo on it IIRC.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a brand new Aurora 2000 kit on my truck last fall. NO purple compressor housing on mine.

Post up a picture of your kit and we'll compare.

Ryan

Attachments

• 101_0561.jpg
    101_0561.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 81
  • 101_0563.jpg
    101_0563.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

scfdiesel

Reaction score
here's the pics

Hey reklund thanks for the reply. This is obviously not the entire kit, I've received 2 of 3 boxes, but was concerned this isn't their latest version turbo. Does your have 'aurora 2000' cated on the side as this is what the catalog and web site show.

Attachments

• ATS kit.jpg
    ATS kit.jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 83
  • ATS turbo.jpg
    ATS turbo.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 98

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if its the 093 old style non gated turbo its a good design, but I'm willing to bet just about that the thing you have is indeed an aurora 2000. I am trying to think off the top of my head the difference between the 093 and the aurora. I think I have heard a different company other than Garret actually makes the turbocharger on the aurora 2000 unlike the old ATS and even the newer 093 version which was created by Garret.

tknomaj

Reaction score
I forget who makes the aurora but that is what he has you can tell by air intake on compressor maybe TYP4 knows who is making aurora turbos for ats

tknomaj

Reaction score
Hey REKLUND how fast does it spool up compared to the 093 system and does it produce more boost?:dunno

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the same as my Aurora 2000 kit, but it looks like they painted yours. I've heard grumblings that ATS is renewing it's interest in the old IDI engines, and may perhaps be dressing up their "in stock" kits to make them a bit more flashy.

I have no idea how it spools in comparison to the 093 kit. I replaced a worn out 088 kit and the difference is night and day! I've got the wastegate rod bottomed out on mine, and have hooked up my ATS intercooler since the above pictures were taken, but mine spools quickly and tops out at about 9 psi right now.

I'm still running way cool on my EGT's at full throttle, even when loaded, so I'm gonna turn up the pump more and see what I get. I'm hoping to keep the EGT's manageable and run 1200ºF Max.

Ryan

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,, garrett makes ball bearing turbos also ,I bet they are calling it aurora by the assembling company the comp hsg looks custom,
Scfdiesel, send it to me so I can take it apart and check it out. Just kidding.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
At least the "See it in action" video is gone, it was a beautiful truck but Cummins powered which I thought was misleading, so I informed them. That would be nice if they kept in with the IDI stuff.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 088, and most of the old ATS stuff was great, part of what we're seeimg here is how the wastegated turbos like the Aurora 2000, Banks Sidewinder, and ATS 093 spool up faster off idle than anything non gated ever could or would. A non gated turbo however will boost until you run out of fuel, rpm, or both or scatter the engine. I have seen a max of 12psi on mine and the fuel is only turned up two or 3 flats. Most of the time no boost or a pound around town but on the highway I can now keep up with anybody...until the speed limit says gotta stop.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still wonder what the difference is between the Aurora 2000 vs. the old Garrett T04B...I'm curious as to what wheel they put in there.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder about that too actually. ATS can't really make a turbo for these engines that pumps well beyond 15 PSI because it would cause head gasket troubles on otherwise stock IDIs. My feeling is that they are not really intended for the modified IDIs with dropped compression, head studs and manifold studs.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i'd suspect it is just a better comp. wheel and housing, it has a slip fit exhaust outlet instead of the vband as we all now see.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
old thread revival time!:)
anymore known,and or fresh reports about this turbo since '09?
other than we all know ATS is ditching the old idi's now.