just drove for free

drive for free

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got done driving form tacoma washington to salt lake city utah for pretty much free. i ran used motor, tranny, and hydraulic oil. spent like $40 on diesel to thin out my mix. it was like 32 deg when we got into utah. so when i put the thicker mix in it took awhile to heat up so there was some hesitation.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Ogden and I have five plus gallons of high end racing oil from dirtbikes and four wheelers. If you can use it come get it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its been too cold to run it around here, but I'll be back on it soon.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is used oil.....come to think of it there might be some coolant mixed in there so It may not be the best for you to use.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
if you like that junk, then you will really LOVE pure clean vegetable oil...

I work in a restaurant and have a couple 30 gallon drums sitting outside the backdoor, my boss is having the line cooks dump in the used from the fryers every time they change the grease (every 2 days it's another 6 gallons)

I have 15 more drums just waiting, gonna fill em all before I filter and use it lol

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
WVO I really hard to track down out west...

Lots of people have already found the beauty in burning left over fry oil where I am at. :rolleyes:

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cant just run it in a normal IDI right? You gotta do some kind of conversion dont you? wvo that is?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I do: ALWAYS start on diesel. Never burn WVO until engine is fully warm. Always run on diesel the last couple of miles before shutting down. I run WVO (extremely well filtered) in the front tank. In the winter, sometimes I mix in some K2 10-20% below freezing to thin it out. I have a single piece of extra equipment, a flat-plate heat exchanger to heat the fuel before the lift pump. I put a temperature gauge on that and see 160 degree fuel temps. Works good for me. (PS I have a full conversion on my Mercedes, and a similar conversion as my truck on my boat which has a cummins 4BT). One thing people with fancy conversions fail to realize, and that is if you can pump it freely into a hot IDI engine, you are good to go. The heat just helps you to be able to pump it in cold weather. A lot of people refuse to believe, but I can promise you it works very well. But only use high quality wvo.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting a 12v sealed stock tank heater in the tank I run it in, should keep it nice and warm without the possibility of fire

not to mention I already have one I can use, we use the same one on a friends farm in the bulk tank to keep the diesel from jelling, it draws 3 amps and keeps 500 gallons at a nice 80*F in 10 below

beaver55

Reaction score
I ran for free from london ontario canada to alasaka last spring on used veggie oil, filled my 250 box right full with the plastic jugs that the oil comes in.I have a 100 gal service tank in the box now, where can I buy a sealed 12 volt tank heater. I am doing the same trip in april.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I *think* it was purchased through tractor supply, maybe home of economy, it's in the agricultural supplies, we run it off of a solar power setup w/ car battery for an electric fence for the diesel tank

a screw-in or flanged type immersion heater would be good as well, I'd install one of those instead myself if I didn't have the stock tank heater

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online