Just a little advice?

JDaulton

94CCF-350
Reaction score
Alright, so I have a fresh 7.3L IDI with a sidewinder kit. It runs a 33in tire with 4.56 gears. I run on average 600*f and max out at 12 psi of boost. The most I've ever read on my egt is 900. Is that too hot? And my next question is what can I do for more pulling power? I know she's an old idi but there has got to be some more options. Does anybody know about an intercooler available for my application? And maybe water methanol??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I love my truck just want a little more out of it.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EGT temp question completely depends on location of the thermocouple. My opinion is that unless it's in the exhaust manifold before any turbo it's very hard to infer what the true EGT actually is. Most people say 1200 to 1250 F measured in the exhaust manifold is the max EGT. Mine will hit 1250 F on a hill at max power (and the pump is not turned up).

An inter-cooler is always a good thing, but at 12 psi boost you are past what I'd run if I had a turbo on mine. And with 12 psi, it sounds like the fuel has been turned up. There's always ways to make more power, but the cost and/or the negative effect on reliability and longevity would be my concern.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How many miles are on the injection pump and injectors. Have you ever timed the truck. You may just need some injectors. I found that the G code injectors are not very good for mpg nor performance... The BB code injectors work much better.

JDaulton

94CCF-350
Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far guys. As far as I can tell the fuel pump has been turned up a little. But to how old or how many miles I'm not too sure. I bought the truck as it is, and the seller gave me reciepts for everything. Starting with the 7.3 ford long block crate, a banks sidewinder kit, 3in straight pipe k&n intake, b&m built E40D, new transfer case, 4.56 gears, and fresh paint. The truck runs great, and under a heavy load it shifts fine, a little hard but expected. Also under heavy load it sometimes selects a gear over where it should be and only then does the black smoke begin to pour. From what I've read black smoke means the pump is turned up.

JDaulton

94CCF-350
Reaction score
As far as the thermocouple goes I'll have to check that out, I have noticed a line just before the turbo. But haven't checked it out yet my guess would be on the manifold. But we will see...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My egt probe is installed on the up pipe before the turbo. I only see 1100+deg when pulling an 11 ton trailer and have the pedal mashed to the floor. Empty its hard to get past 1000deg. I get 14 psi of boost out of my ATS. I am comfortable with these numbers. Intercooling is a very important step the many of us have not gotten to. A bit of research should net you some pics. Most intercoolers are adapted to our rigs. A Hypermax cowl inductionis also an option. Water **** gets mixed reviews from what I have read. I feel as though it would work well if set up properly.

A typ4 cam from Russ and a Moose Pump from Mel are hot performance items available here on the Oilburner's site. Both of these guys offer injectors as well. Very high quality stuff might I add.:sly

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Looks like a couple of us tried to look at your photos, sounds like a nice truck. Pics go a long way around here. I noticed there are not any pics in there yet. I do not think I could've downloaded any either in 1969.LOLLOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger