Jeff's bronco graveyard alternator

Runningaford

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure where I read it, but some how I got the great idea to use one of Jeff's Broncograveyard alternators on my truck.

It came with no instructions, and it isn't just plug, and play. I think it's a 3g alternator, but actually don't have a clue. In all honesty, call me a *****, but I don't comprehend selling a vehicle/engine specific aftermarket part, that's not bolt in, without some sort of instructions(perhaps I missed the link on their site?).

I've searched this topic, and found a few people with the same problem. Can anyone point me to a good link where I can find the new shorter belt numbers(the belts look to need to be at least 2 inches), and or what I need to do with the voltage regulator; it's got a lot of wires connected to it, and I'm not sure if any of them are necessary at this point.

I've found some schematics, and it seems like an idi with a zf5 should just need a single wire to the starter relay, or battery alone; is this correct, and do I just cap off those leads from the regulator, and remove it?

Thank you

Runningaford

Reaction score
JBG did respond to my inquiry on this topic, they basically had nothing to say, but contact their distributor: which is Motor City Reman..... They've got technical pages there.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know what you figure out. I looked at JBG last night and all it said is "direct bolt in no modifications necessary" I wanted to help but I'm clueless as usual lol

Runningaford

Reaction score
I got the 170 amp alt. The email I got from them, basically said, it's simple, and 'go here', to their distributor. The alternator is cheaper through the distributor, and they've got install data there...... I'd think JBG would put some sort of resource on their own page, rather than directing people to the cheaper source.

For sure, I needed two belts, two inches shorter than stock, a mega fuse in line with the new #4 cable, and I used a 3/8" x 1 1/4 with nut to replace the single OEM threaded bolt(I've read some people just threading the 3G alternator).

My alternator belt to crank is still to 'fat' for the pulley though, so I need to see about getting a thinner one.

source-http://www.motorcityreman.com/

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure where I read it, but some how I got the great idea to use one of Jeff's Broncograveyard alternators on my truck.

It came with no instructions, and it isn't just plug, and play. I think it's a 3g alternator, but actually don't have a clue. In all honesty, call me a *****, but I don't comprehend selling a vehicle/engine specific aftermarket part, that's not bolt in, without some sort of instructions(perhaps I missed the link on their site?).

I've searched this topic, and found a few people with the same problem. Can anyone point me to a good link where I can find the new shorter belt numbers(the belts look to need to be at least 2 inches), and or what I need to do with the voltage regulator; it's got a lot of wires connected to it, and I'm not sure if any of them are necessary at this point.

I've found some schematics, and it seems like an idi with a zf5 should just need a single wire to the starter relay, or battery alone; is this correct, and do I just cap off those leads from the regulator, and remove it?

Thank you
If you plan on swapping in a part not original to the one you are replacing it behooves YOU to thoroughly research the topic first.

No 3G is a direct replacement for a non 3G style alt.

You are using their product in an environment that it was not originally installed into and expected instructions for that...really? Why not buy a crate cummins 12v and expect instructions how to install it too?

Take some responsibility for your choice to modify your truck with non stock parts and stop complaining because you failed to research it.

There is tons of info online on 3 g swaps...it is relatively sime and straight forward and perhaps some members here will have some insight.

I plan on swapping in my powermaster 250 amp unit...I am pretty sure I can figure it out.

I forget whos thread it was but they had a 3g and provided numbers for the belt.

JM7.3CW Eh!

Reaction score
Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one?

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/mob...or-170-Amp-V-groove-Pulley/productinfo/38632/

Looks like a 3G to me. Lots of info on installing these online in any Ford, not just IDI. I just did this a couple of months ago.

Sacrilege, I know, but here is the post I used from FTE to guide me. It has a few posts in there from me at the end with PNs and whatnot:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1156489-how-to-3g-install-for-83-92-idis.html

Mike
It says bolt in as in u bolt it in same location...then speaks of other modifications needed.....thanks for the links.

Runningaford

Reaction score
@riotwarrior,

Don't get your ******* in a ***. I come to this site to read, learn, and share information. I obviously speak for myself, but I personally have noticed that in my country, the USA, over the course of the last 30 years, a real down grade of quality, information, and technical support from companies/corporations; this seems to have trickled down to the small guys as well. In the 80's most corporations had telephone operators that actually answered the phone, today, you're lucky to get an email back in a week; to hell with decent live customer service; that also has trickled down to the smaller guys often enough.

In regards to researching this topic, well duh, have done that, and went with this alternator due to it being what was advertised as being a direct bolt in alternator. After realizing once in my paws, and going back over JBG's website, and not seeing any sort of anything stating alternations would still need to be made, I know I definitely don't speak for you, but I'd have thought, a single line on their site stating something like, 'hey, this needs some slight alternations to install', would've been at least food for thought, or more correct, 'appropriate' to the customer. I know now that for a v-belt setup it would require a basic couple inch smaller belts, and a bolt/nut, how hard would that be to write out to give guys a heads up?

Now that you've been kind enough to write your screed in this thread, I'd like to take this opportunity to express some of my own thoughts that I've seen on this website a few times now, and also the reason I don't post all that much. I've noticed that searching this site, or even using Google to search this site, or similar sites can yield mixed results. I've read threads which I cannot find again. Then there are the picture heavy threads, where all photos are now gone; a picture is worth a 1000 words, but when the picture that really does the describing is gone, the thread is basically worthless. Another aspect I've seen, is where a thread has everything you've already figured out, but doesn't have what you didn't. Hence the need for a new thread.

In turn, I've noted a few members, seemingly take great pride in what reads like their attempt at trying to embarrass, or berate, or is it little **** syndrome materialized by attacking someone just looking for information, or collaboration?! Needless to say, it's something I've noted, and for the most part, stay silent due to having seen that behavior.

Regarding this website, the overall information is really great, the stickies are great, and most of the members are good people. As far as I know, the sticky threads are technical information that is great stuff, when you can't find your answer there, then you search it, and then from there, you ask; which means a new thread. Aren't general forum topics open to all, or not?

What'd this thread discover? I know that someone reading this thread knows there is a need for smaller belts, bolt/nut, and even where to get the alternator cheaper, and from the source.

Frankly sir, a forum is an information sharing place where people are supposed to come together with their different strengths, and even weaknesses to learn, and better each other, and their community.

Runningaford

Reaction score
It says bolt in as in u bolt it in same location...then speaks of other modifications needed.....thanks for the links.

If you read the link, it states heavier gauge battery wire, and then for the higher 200, and 250 amp alternators having a smaller pulley, which may necessitate new, or smaller belts; hence why I went with what I thought would have the same size pulley, the 170 amp alternator.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find two 170 amp alternators one is listed for 85-92 the other 93 up. If it is the one for 85-92, it is advertised as a one wire alternator, connect the large hot all the time wire off old alternator to stud on back of new. Tape off all other wires. Thats it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then there are the picture heavy threads, where all photos are now gone; a picture is worth a 1000 words, but when the picture that really does the describing is gone, the thread is basically worthless.

This is primarily due to Webshots and Photobucket deciding to either close up shop or force people to pay to be able to share photos. Sadly there's not a whole lot that can be do done about that. It's very annoying isn't it?

hence why I went with what I thought would have the same size pulley, the 170 amp alternator.

All I can say is when I put the 3G alternator on my 91 (v belt) the belt for "ambulance prep package" models seems to fit mine. Your results may vary.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find two 170 amp alternators one is listed for 85-92 the other 93 up. If it is the one for 85-92, it is advertised as a one wire alternator, connect the large hot all the time wire off old alternator to stud on back of new. Tape off all other wires. Thats it.

Although this should work, I would be worried about the small stock output wire. I personally ran 4ga through a large fuse directly to the battery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online