It's coming?? Allison conversion kit out'a Florida.

Oldfrogdiving

Reaction score
I just ran down to Tok in my '89 crewcab
Man thats a long run to get burgers! Did that in Baghdad once, I was working with Brits and we decided to gun up and make a run down Irish to get to the BK at the airport big mistake! I miss AK more then any place I have worked.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man thats a long run to get burgers! Did that in Baghdad once, I was working with Brits and we decided to gun up and make a run down Irish to get to the BK at the airport big mistake! I miss AK more then any place I have worked.
When I was living in Valdez years ago we used to take the VW diesel up to Tekel River Lodge just for coffee and pie every couple of weeks, if the pass was open. Only about 60-ish miles each way.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about another truck routine and that brings in newer machines with more ECU's. etc.
A medium truck from the late '70s to late '80s is probably a better bet. There was recently a very nice looking old Ford C700 with an 8.2 Detroit on Craigslist for $7000, and I would probably go with that rather than put an Allison in a pickup, if I needed to tote something heavy.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an awful lot of money just to say you have an allison transmission. But if they can sell a kit for that kind of coin, all the power to them. I'm actually warming up to the ford 5 and 6 speed automatics but will keep my E4OD for now. It's old technology and the parts are still readily available.

If the shift map is the only complaint, then you could simply get an aftermarket controller for way less money. Turbocharging will still make a bigger improvement than anything you do with the drivetrain.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either the 1000 or 2000 series allisons. The 1000 and 2000 are pretty similar design wise. Most of cac's clients use a 1000 series out of a GM pickup so they don't have to run a divorced transfer case. Plus there are boatloads of those available in every junk yard out there.

Thanks to the duramax crowd, you can build the 1000 from mild to wild power wise. I'd personally like to see what kind of adapter they use. If they use the gm housing on the trans or convert it to SAE. The sae is larger then the gm style and would likely need firewall/floorpan work to get it to fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online