Itercooler with AC

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intercooler with AC

I am in the process of buying a used Hypermax turbo kit and have seen that a lot of guys are making their own intercooler setup. My question is I have an 86' F-250 with air conditioning and it doesn't look like there is enough room for an intercooler, How do you all make one fit(move brackets, move condenser, notch grille, etc.) Pics would be great. Oh and my radiator is the deep one, not the wide one. parts lists would be great too.
Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Don't have a parts list but many use the 95+ front bumper that allows for better air flow, also I would keep the IC out of the way from the ac cooler as much as possible. Some times You can even put an electric fan to go off when the ac temp gets too high or when ever You use the ac.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing the same thing and trying to come up with the best system. Air to Air, water to air ect... I have a good radiator laying around and been wondering about using it.:dunno

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't use a 95+ bumper on my truck, It is an 86 (the old body style). do I have to make a custom front bumper? don't really want to do that if I don't have to.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have a parallel flow AC condenser for my brown truck, but it hasnt ran long enough for me to get around to that part of the project. You don't have much of a choice except to run it infront of the intercooler on the early body style trucks. I'm running a cummins intercooler on my truck its major overkill for the most part and I'm going to install the parallel flow condenser in front of it.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how hard was it to fit the cummins intercooler in? I though they would be very hard to make fit due to their size. Do you have a lot of turbo lag with such a large intercooler?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Actually there isn't any turbo lag that i can notice, over any other large T4 turbo on this size of a motor. if I'm over 1900rpm and mash the pedal down it would fly up to 12psi just like that, took a bit to hit the 13psi and once even hit 15psi. But now it doesnt run at all, blew a head gasket.
The intercooler really isnt that difficult to mount. The hardest part is getting yourself to cut the radiator support and build reinforcements around the holes to keep the structure strong.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
if i can ever get around to finishing the design work I plan on offering an aftermarket front bumper that will allow you to mount an intercooler in behind the bumper providing mounts for it as well.

i was going to design it around this particular intercooler because it has been used here at least twice that i know of with good results.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...Product_Code=IC0022&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

im in the same situation as my truck is an 88 with the large rad and a/c and i already got cooling problems on top of that so the last thing i want to do is obstruct the grill anymore.

im officially getting new software tonight so hopefully in the lul here at my job i can work on finishing this build.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks still in the designing stages too. Keep the Ideas coming. 6 Nebraska IDIs where did you get a different condencer other than stock?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7