is this the truck for the job

Ray-F250

Reaction score
I bought my 1994 7.3 turbo with 196,000 miles to pull a tractor with. I probably wouldn't end up hauling it more than 60 miles one way at a time. my luck is great when it comes to buying used vehicles lol soon after buying the truck now im looking at replacing the injection pump and everything ive read says to replace the injectors at the same time so here I am about to spend more money on a truck that I haven't even gotten to haul anything with yet. I was just wondering if these trucks at this age and miles is going to be something that im going to be working on more than working with as I intended when buying the truck. when I bought the truck I knew about some minor things that I had no problem with fixing. once ive replaced ip and injectors this truck should make it for a while right. this is not going to be an everyday truck

Ray-F250

Reaction score
I will haul a tractor maybe once a month or less but still would like to use truck around hunting camp and around the house.thanks for any and all advice that all of you have shared with me over the past few weeks since becoming a member

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Its an old truck, you can expect to have to do some work on it. That said, I've been dailying my truck for about a year now (after a long time sitting) and haven't had to do anything with it. When I moved from Texas to Oregon it had sat for a few years. I changed the oil/filters, put a 7500 lb trailer behind it, and headed out without a hiccup.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Lol. I haul overloaded all the time. Once u get IP and injectors replaced and give it a good once over u should be fine. Don't get IP or injectors from parts store though. TheWesPaul Conestoga diesel and r&d do really good pumps. The part store and eBay and Amazon parts are trash and if they even work it will be short lived cause they don't do full restoration on their pumps or injectors

Ray-F250

Reaction score
I understand that it is going to need some tlc at times. When I purchased the truck I expected that. I love the truck just wondering about the life span of the motors and trannys in these old beast. But your reply makes me feel more comfortable Thanks

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Look up zip ties and biast plies. Guy is a compleat idiot and I would never do wat he does, but these can take some abuse most others cant

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The automatic transmission for these trucks is... Finicky.

I know someone who has had at least one of these trucks with over 600k miles and there are a few guys here with 300k+ on their rigs. Take care of that motor and it will last a long time.

threegenpowerstroke98

Reaction score
How heavy is the tractor? Used to haul a skidsteer that was 4300ibs plus bucket with a n/a 7.3 idi with 5 speed and 4:10s back in the day no prob. Just don't expect to win any races.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on how far from home and friends you plan on going I would recommend preemptive replacement for some of the less expensive and easier to R&R items. I hate getting stranded and the only times my truck left me on the side of the road were when the clutch pedal bushing busted and my steering box blew the seal above the pitman arm with no leaks or other warnings. If you have a manual trans then either keep a spare clutch pedal bushing($3) or look into the heim joint mod. It's a simple little mechanism but it can be a real PITA if it suddenly fails. Even if a part seems like it should have more miles left the seals might simply be getting old or a PO never serviced the fluids properly, and of course old plastic is always suspect.

With 345k on my engine and 100k on pump and injectors I am not at all worried about the engine or IP/injectors. I worry about random crap like the FSV failing, V-belts, fuel pump, starter, and so on. On an out of town trip I pack a spare vac pump, fuel pump, set of belts, fuel filter, starter, plenty of fluids, tools and one item I need to add is a jumper wire with appropriate terminals to run from battery to the FSS on the IP. Perhaps my method may seem like overkill but I haven't yet found a good time and place to break down so until I do I will pack parts and tools!

But as to your actual question YES I think that is the right truck. I am currently trying to find a 1994 F250/F350 with the factory turbo but them things are proving a bit elusive. Good luck with yours.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Ray-F250 the idi is a awesome machine I use mine for everything but like what's been said the IP an injectors are good for 100k miles an there is a bit of tinkering to keep them 100%also they are great tow rigs as long as your not in a hurry I have a 86 f 350 I use to pull my camp trailer and it loves it I also use it for everything heavy but I do make sure I keep a spare set of belts some basic tools and fluids and I will tell you she loves the abuse but ya gotta keep up on the maitnence or it will self destruct

Ray-F250

Reaction score
Thanks for all y’alls advice. I’ve always been a Chevy man (please don’t hold that against me) my dad was a ford man he passed this year and I broke down and got me something in memory of him. I can’t call him for advice on fixing it . But between what the man thought me ( how to work and if your ever going to have something your going to have to work for it ) and all of the help I’ve gotten from y’all I think this is the truck for me thanks