Is this normal ?

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck starts right off when cold [abt. 3 sec. on the manual glow plugs] but, when I shut it off hot then try to restart after just 3-5 min. it won't start within 1 or 2 revolutions---hit the glow plugs for a second and it starts on 1st. rev..
Should I have to use the glow plugs so soon after a hot shut down ?
Truck runs great--year old inj. pump, injectors and timing set at 8 deg btdc., all new filters and elec. lift pump.
Timing was set using pulse method @ 2000 rpm hot.
If I advance the timing to 9-9.5 the problem disappears but the rattle is real loud and lots of smoke.

Any thoughts ?

Dennis

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
sounds like it might have heat soak in the IP. Its possible. We bought a brand new reman IP from MWFI (a very reputable company) and the first one did this, had heat soak real bad. Could crank and crank and it wouldnt start after hot, unless you poured water over the head of the IP.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
on a second note, that thing starts EXCELLENT for only 3 seconds on a manual switch. We do 7 seconds on all of ours, 6.9's and 7.3's.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had thought abt. heat soak but it starts right up with 1 sec. on the glow plugs.

Dennis

RedTruck

Reaction score
Are you putting you're accelerator to the floor on startup?

Paul

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No--keep in mind if I hit the g.p. for abt. 1 sec. it catches first rev.

Dennis

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
the truck should definatly start right up after being hot. but then again, my 7.3 will still put the plugs on for about 2-4 seconds if i have to start the truck after being parked for about 5-10 mins.

in my own opinion, if it was my truck, use the plugs every start.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. That's usually caused by timing too far advanced or a heat soak problem. You sure your gear timing is on the money? But 1-3 seconds on the glow plugs wouldn't really be enough to fix it if it was anything bad I don't think. How long does it take to start if you just crank on it warm?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
My 87 is just like that. Have had to IP's on it, same thing, timing is right on, checked it with like 4 different meters that I had purchased to verify they worked. It has a solid state controller that activates EVERY time you stop and start it. Even with the engine at around 190 degrees, it doesn't like to start without it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats just how the solid state controller is. Nice insurance in case you really need the glowplugs on a warm start which you occaisonally do and also keep startup cold smoke to a minimum.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If I just get in mine warm and crank it, it will turn over 2 or 3 times and then start, but if I give it time to cycle (just a few seconds) it is off and running in less than 1/2 revolution, just as you say.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. That's usually caused by timing too far advanced or a heat soak problem. You sure your gear timing is on the money? But 1-3 seconds on the glow plugs wouldn't really be enough to fix it if it was anything bad I don't think. How long does it take to start if you just crank on it warm?

I don't crank it anymore than a couple of rev..
As far as the timing gear, it's relatively new pulse adapt. and advance style timing lite.
If you think about it the timing can't be too far advanced because if I advance it a couple of deg. the problem goes away w/the cost of alot more smoke and rattle.

From what sle2115 and andylad13 are saying this is normal and that's what I was looking for---if other people have this on a hot restart, I'm good.

Thanks again guys and thankyou andylad13 for the compliment.

Dennis

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online