Is this engine a good deal?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at a 97 5.9 engine for $2500 obo with 90K miles on it. Add says it looks and runs perfect. Does this sound like a good deal? It has turbo and all that stuff just no accessories which I already have. Would it have the good p pump for building good power?

Thanks,

-Rob

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Save your money and put a fresh shortblock under what you have already. 2500.00 is a lot for a B series, you can get a good runner for less than half of that. Better still, if you want to do a B swap, buy a whole truck (first gen, early 2nd gen), and take what you need for 2500.00-3500.00. Sell the rest of the parts. Put in a request here on this site for an engine, folks around here are lot fairer with pricing.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
out west that isn't a bad price for a P-pumped B series.
not a screaming deal, but if this is a project you need to move quickly on, it a good price for that.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disregard mileage, see how quickly it starts, check for blowby, check idle quality with a P-pump engine, run a compression test and pop the injectors if you can. Look at the endmost exhaust manifold bolts. These engine shrink the exhaust manifolds under hard use. 1/8" overall is fine, but when you get into the 1/4" shrinkage area you are buying something that's had the **** run out of it.

If it's a 215MT engine that's an average price. If it's your average 160-190 motor he's asking double what it's worth.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just had been seeing ones with tons of miles and problems for $3500 on CL and thought this was a deal, guys must be proud of their stuff, guess I'll save my money(or lack there off) for now and look for a short block to build with my parts. I would prefer do that anyway but I think I would want to find one of the later bigger P pumps for better power.

Short block is just block, crank and pistons correct? Where might I start looking for a shortblock and what might I expect to pay for one?

I did see a block (just the bare block) on ebay by diesel care (I think I heard they have a terrible reputation) that was .040 over for $200, is that the route to go, buy a block, new rods and pistons and use my crank if its good?

Thank you guys, this site has saved me tons of money.

-Rob

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
A shortblock is a block plus reciprocating assembly minus the cylinder head and accessories. Finding a motor is not that hard, just look in places where there is not as much demand like industrial motors, marine, farm, forklifts, wherever a B fits. You'd be surprised about the pricing. And do not use Diesel Care, whatever the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle