Is that our truck smoking?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Is that our truck smoking? Is not a question that you want to hear.

As we were sitting at the light waiting to turn left, the wife spotted steam/vapours coming from the passenger side fender yesterday when we were on our way to the inlaw's 25th wedding anniversary. I looked at the temp gauge to see if there was a problem, since I don't run an engine fan or shroud, and it was a hot day out. Engine wasn't even up to operating temperature. But there was definitely something going on. I pulled over right away and popped the hood. There was diesel raining down onto the valve cover and exhaust manifold from the return line where it connects to the fuel filter head. :eek:
It is a cloth covered hose. That cloth was the only thing holding it on!

Probably a lucky thing the engine wasn't up to operating temp! I realized I had no fire extinguisher in the truck either.
I was in such a hurry to get to the anniversary party, that I forgot my multi tool which I normally carry. And since we weren't going very far, I didn't pack my tools with me. Doh! I even forgot my phone. :rolleyes:

The wife had her phone tho and soon her nephew arrived with his shiny new GM Sierra with a screw driver and razor knife. How embarrassing. I had the truck running again in under 2 minutes.

The anniversary party was awesome with great food and Stella on ice in the cooler.

All's well that ends well. :) The wife was actually impressed with my temperament after the initial F bomb.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Glad everything worked out.
I wonder if a steel braided return line would be a good set up
or if anyone's done this.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steel braid hose? Nah. too hard to clamp to #1 inj. cap. Clear tube 1/4" heavy line, you can see if any air is there.