Is it Chipped....or not?

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having just bought a 2001 7.3 SD with 145,000 on the clock I'm trying to figure out how to tell if it's been chipped or not. There are two reasons why I'm thinking it might have a chip. One, in the bottom of the toolbox was an SCT X3-3000 programmer and when the transmission is shifting gears the shift is somewhat abrupt, more so that I'm used to anyway.

Not knowing anything about what's involved with installing a chip I'm leery of just plugging in the X3.

Are there any obvious signs I can look for? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Brad

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is a chip chances are the plastic plug for the J port on the PCM has been removed. You could take a look at the PCM and see if it's there.

You must be registered for see images

Most likely the programmer is the "tuning" that you are experiencing. No harm in plugging it in a seeing what happens.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugged in the X3 this morning, fortunately the truck didn't explode or catch on fire :Thumbs Up

It did report one code P0603 which I'm wondering if that didn't occur because of the low voltages that occured prior to my repairing the battery cable connectors.

Now to figure out how to find out via the X3 whether or not the factory tuning has been modified.

In the picture you posted is there an easy way to see the J3 repair port?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0603 is a common non-issue code, I wouldn't worry about it. It's actually pretty common if you've got tuning whether flashed or J-port chip.

The J-port is on the cab facing part of the PCM, however the mounting bracket may be in the way.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0603 is a common non-issue code, I wouldn't worry about it. It's actually pretty common if you've got tuning whether flashed or J-port chip.

The J-port is on the cab facing part of the PCM, however the mounting bracket may be in the way.

Thanks, I was hoping it would be a non issue.

I'll try sticking my head under the dash next weekend, who knows I might see something :)

Thanks,

Brad

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the dealership where I bought the truck. The owners son who works as a salesman there knows about SCT tuners and so I drove the truck over over to have him take a look. Turns out the truck has been chipped and has three tunes available, street, performance and towing. Unfortunately it didn't indicate which tune is currently installed. Based on its current performance I'm inclined to think it's currently on the performance tune. This truck runs better than any other 7.3 I've been in, by a long shot :)

One of these days when I've got spare time on my hands I'll try the different tunes to see how they perform. Talking with him for a while he believes the engine has performance injectors installed and possibly a few other mods. It has a Garrett turbo, 4" or 5" exhaust and the chip. I'm not sure what other mods it might have.

Bottom line, I like the way the truck runs!

Brad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online