Is Ian's IP Bad??

rmckee242

Reaction score
My son's 86 F250 (6.9 NA) just died on him at two in the morning Sunday. Fuel pump is fine got good flow at schrader valve. Have return from the IP but can't even get a dribble out of injector side of pump. No voltage to rear (single wire) on IP twelve volts to front wires (two into same conector). The rear wire must be the fuel solenoid because when twelve volts is applied you can hear the click. Jumped twelve volts to it and still no fuel. Are the front wires controlling another solenoid (they ain't clicking nothing) or is that cold start advance? The single rear wire is grounded could this have screwd something up when that happened. In general just HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never had this problem before and my boy needs his truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The forward facing terminal is the fuel shut off solenoid. If it isn't clicking when you apply 12 volts to it, then you found your problem. (please make sure you have 12 volts at the wire - don't assume!) If the truck is in a bad place, and its a dire emergency to move it, you could take the top cover off the IP (3 bolts) and remove the spring from the shut off solenoid. Just be advised, you will have to remove the top cover again while it is running and move the govenor rod towards the back of the truck in order to shut if off once you get where you are going. Read the fuel system servicing article in the IDI tech section for pictures and warnings about removing the top cover.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Thanks I'll look at the tech article. We have 12 volts on the front wire (two wire into one connector) but no response from the IP. No voltage on the rear wire (single wire) but you can hear a solenoid click when you energize that terminal. Started to take the top off the IP yesterday on the side of the road but was afraid of what would fly out.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Many thanks Mel. Pulled the cover off the IP this evening grounded the solenoid put 12 volts to it and nothing. Now to find one. Not available from Ford anymore. I'll try NAPA tomorrow. If they don't have them it's off to the local diesel shop.

Again thanks much.......................Randy

rmckee242

Reaction score
Up and Running

Replaced the solenoid today. Busted off and ran fine. Thanks again for the help Mel

Randy