IP Ticking

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's the best way I can describe the noise I hear. When I listen close to the IP I hear a noise that sounds kinda like the sound you hear when a spark plug wire is pulled and grounded, only not nearly as loud. It's definitely not the typical knocking sound the IP makes.

The strange thing is I didn't notice it until I had some trouble with the truck starting and a draw on my electrical system when the truck is running. During the day, each time I start the truck my voltage meter readss lower and lower. The truck gets harder and harder to start. I replaced the alternator, but still have excessive draw when I start the truck. The last time it was hard to start I tried the cold water on the pump thing and that didn't help.

I know I need a new IP, but that has to wait another week or so. I checked all the electrical connections around the IP and didn't find anything loose or damaged. Alternator and regulator are new, both batteries are less than a year old, and the starter seems to spin fine until the batteries drain. And no, I don't think anyone installed any sparkplugs while I was asleep, so that leaves out the plug wire theory. Either way, I'm baffed.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
hmmm this is PURE guess, but could it be the cold idle advance oscillating off and on in a loop for some reason? dont quote me on this, but i would think it ok to disconnect it next time you hear the tick while its running to see if noise goes away.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Doc,

Is it possible with the battery drain that the GP controller could be the noise culprit by chance?

I know a long shot, but like Evergreen said, you can disconnect the CIA(cold idle advance) power to eliminate that possibility.

How long does it take to run the batteries down, time frame/mileage?

How many miles on the IP?

Not sure if the IP would draw that much that quickly as it doesn't need a whopping amount of amps to run.
I'm not sure of the exact amperage draw, but I'm sure someone else might be able to put up some numbers.

With the truck running, what type of voltage drops it is making in correlation with the ticking noise you hear if any.
If the GPC is malfunctioning you will definitly see it dropping voltage and even thru the headlights.(Been there first hand)

To disable the GPC, disconnect the white wire with the black tracer on the GPC solenoid and see if that eliminates the ticking noise.

Reason being, the GPC uses a large amount of juice and can stick on cycling the GP's and cook them out if it is malfunctioning.

Also check the wire harness going to the GPC to make sure it has a good clean connection.

Just a place to start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7