International Cxt

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my upgraded interior parts from a totalled '98 4700. I got the entire OHD console, a pillar covers, new grey dash pieces for $150. I had to buy the pass side black panel and dashmounted cupholders from the dealer $83 bucks.

What I really want is the padded piece that goes on the back of the cab behind the seats and has the bin between the seats, but I think it's really expensive.

Prolly have to wait till one shows up at the truck salvage yard.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what I dont understand is why they built it on the 7600 chassis instead of the 4300 or 4400 chassis. And the 466 is just too small. Why not the 530power or something like that? or at least a souped up 466. If I were gonna pay all that money I'd want some go-fast too. I am thinking more and more about a Chevy 4500 crew duallie 4x4. lot cheaper than the cxt. I saw an older 6500 Chevy the other day, crewcab with a 3500 dually bed. was pretty mean looking, but no 4x4. I dont see what you guys think is so great about the f650. I drive heavy wrecker and if you saw how many of those toilets that I tow you wouldnt believe it. Around here its common knowledge that you dont buy an f650 or f750, unless you're a diehard Ford man who doesnt see the difference between his old pickup and a medium duty. Oh yeah, its usually tranny problems or computer related. Around here everyone has been running IH for medium duty trucks, but Freightliners are cheap now and getting more competetive, but what I'm starting to see a lot more of is Hinos. Awesome trucks, built in California by a Toyota owned company. Super-reliable, and from what I've seen they love the abuse.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan,

We're not going to use this forum for brand bashing of Ford, GMC, or any other brand for that matter. There's guys here that have Ford M/D's who we want to make feel welcome, not alienated by bashing their trucks. So if you have a negative opinion on any brand, just keep it in check, or post it in the B/G forums.

If you call an F650/750 a "toilet" you're also calling IH toilets because they're built from many of the same parts. If you notice a lot of tranny problems in them, remember, all the auto trannies are made by allison a division of GM, that builds transmissions for all other brands, too. The manuals are not built by Ford, either, they're built by Eaton/Fuller or dana/Spicer, who also supplies transmissions for all other OEMs.

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's OK. I've been told by higher authorities to keep brand bashing out of this forum. :angel:

Keep posting here. LOL

Last edited:

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
I'm glad to see that y'all are talking about the type of truck I want to get this year. The CXT seems rather pricey. I spend a good deal of time in my truck during the day. I don't need the dually bed, need a utility bed, but the comfort factor will definitely come into play. 4X4 is a definite must have, and the creature comforts will be a requirement also. I have my 96 F250 loaded to the gills, and she weighs 10,320 lbs. I have a lot more stuff I'd like to add, but I need to find the suitable medium duty truck that will accomodate my needs.

I'm gonna go talk to the local IH dealer, and see what he can tell me. Be nice to have a big truck that will run like a bat out of hell like this little truck does.

I'm wondering about the reliability of these IH trucks, automatic, or manual, doesn't really matter to me.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CXT won't run like a bat out of hell. In fact, most of what I've read about the owners of them say they're on the sluggish side. Stock power is a 220HP DT466 with an allison auto. No speed demon by any stretch. Up it to a 300HP DT and you're going a bit faster, but a stock Ford F450/550 6L 325HP Torqshift with the body of your choice would be much faster, cheaper and more practical than a CXT.

The reliability of the basic 4700 chassis, DT466 and allison auto is dead nuts reliable. All components are tried & true tested in real M/D trucks beat to heck in everyday commercial useage. As for all the fancy cab parts that are unique to the CXT, I counldn't really say how reliable they are.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the CXT I looked at at the local Internatinal dealer is a 7600 chassis. Not exactly what I would call medium duty. I don't understand why they didnt build it on the 4300 or 4400 chassis. The 7600 is so massive you could never ever utilize its potential, being limited to an 8 foot bed for cargo and a drawbar type hitch. I'm reasonably sure you couldnt put a 5th wheel on it due to the height. And I agree about the motor, a 466 is a decent work truck motor, but a tire burner it ain't. If they had asked me in the first place I would have advised them to go with a medium duty chassis with the nicer looking nose, and maybe the 530 power or an outside vendor for the motor, like a big kitty. Of, course, the 7600 chassis will accept a 600 Cat or an N-14.., but whos got the money to throw another 15$ grand into a $100k truck? Gotta agree with Duke here, a medium duty Ford would probably be your best bet, and you won't be as tired of climbing up and down them big steps. But I would stay with the 450 or 550, in my experience it is a better truck than the 650/750 (Hows that?) Personally I would go with a GM product over the Ford, but I will admit you might have a lot more trouble finding one. I dont see a lot of them around here, but the 450/550 is everywhere.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
I went to the local dealer here, and they had a CXT back in the shop. Salesman took me back to see it, and it is a huge step up into the cab. Sits nice, and I almost asked him for a test ride.LOL Salesman said he wants 120,000.00 for it.:rolleyes:

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when they first hit they were supposed to be base priced at $80k, $93k nicely outfitted with chrome stacks, rims, etc. Now the demand is so high the salesmen are setting their own prices. I heard about one that stickered at $93 going for $102 at Barrett Jackson. $120 is just plain crazy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online