Intermittent starter trouble

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I may be overthinking this but my 91 7.3 idi had been intermittently starting. I will goto turn the key and it will just click, I do this a few times I til it will just crank like nothing happened. I was thinking a starter solenoid but wanted y'all's opinion. Like I said, may be over thinking it but just wanted some reassurance. Thanks

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solenoid mounted on starter body. Mine did this every few months, then all of a sudden did it every other start, then wouldn't crank at all. Don't get stranded, I had it happen twice when I didn't replace it.

I ended up taking my starter apart, seeing how bad the brushes and everything else was, and just said screw it and installed a new one, since my old one was a direct drive anyway, I got to upgrade to a Mitsubishi OSGR starter.

To test this, see if power is getting to the starter-mounted solenoid when you turn the key to the START position. If no power at solenoid, then the fender-mounted solenoid is bad (but you heard clicking so it's probably not that). If yes power, then test the output from the starter-mounted solenoid to the starter. If no power, it's the solenoid. If yes power, your starter is on its way out my friend.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ mine was the fender mounted solenoid. (Powerstroke but same exact setup)
It was also intermittent. Upon removal I found both sides were cracked.
I guess the corrosion got to it.

Starter rebuilding is fairly simple. Cost me about $100 doing it myself.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This could also be as simple as bad connections at the battery and solenoids. Use care when working with these batteries, you have twice the current as regular 12 volt system, make sure you have them disconnected before you get too far into your testing. The likely culprit is one of the solenoids but with electrical it is always best to work your way to the problem.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALso check the ignition switch. Its mounted on the steering column under the dash.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did try the ign switch and had no change. So in betting one if the solenoids. I'll check on it tonight. Thanks for all the responses.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This could also be as simple as bad connections at the battery and solenoids. Use care when working with these batteries, you have twice the current as regular 12 volt system, make sure you have them disconnected before you get too far into your testing. The likely culprit is one of the solenoids but with electrical it is always best to work your way to the problem.

Don't you mean to say these trucks have twice the amps a regular 12 volt system has. We only have 12 volts going to the starter and the rest of the electrical system but twice the amps are available. Being twice the amps will melt wires in a quick big hurry grounding. Work on the starter without lifting a ground or a positive at the batteries and it can melt a wrench or burn a ring into your finger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online