Intermittent and normal low high wipers just stop

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I think this is likely the darn intermittent wiper control modules fault. I'll be driving in the rain...and down here in lower mainland there is lots of it compared to the desert climate I am from!:eek: Oh how I forgot how it rains down here....:rolleyes:

Well anyway....I am driving along wipers beatin a fine rhythm, when suddenly they will just stop,:mad: I mean half way up the windshield or down or just anywhere then in a few moments they'll start again. They do this on HI Low, and intermittent. I can go miles and miles no problem, then suddenly they freak out for a while, then fine for a while.

Whats yer take on this one? Mines the damn control box....anyone got an extra one?

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
It most likely is the control box. Many people (including myself) have fixed them by taking then apart and carefully resoldering the connection on the printed circuit board. The factory soldering isn't that great and the box gets shaken by the parking brake releasing. It isn't a major task and very satisfying to fix it for zero dollars and a half hour of your time! Good luck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, I had read about that dreaded, solder somewhere on this forum...that I can handle...it just didnt need to be while I am away from home with no soldering tools...lol

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
I did the solder thing in the module and that took care of all my wiper problems years ago. However, I wasted money thinking it was a switch or wiper motor.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting! I've never heard of the solder thing! I will definately have to try this. Mine do the exact same thing and they also will run very very very slowly sometimes; almost like they are air driven or something. Would this control box problem also cause this?.......and where exactly is this control box that needs re-soldering?

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also like info on this control box. My wipers sometimes just won't turn off. When they do stop, god only knows where they do stop!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also like info on this control box. My wipers sometimes just won't turn off. When they do stop, god only knows where they do stop!!

Yours is a bad park switch in the motor.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Riot, mine did the same thing, intermittent stopping in all positions, it turned out to be the motor.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
My 93 gasser had that problem. Turned out that the motor had be infiltrated with water. Over the years, the glue that holds the magnets to the side of the case let go. I cleaned up the rust, and re-glued the magnets to the case. It's worked fine ever since.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'll pop the box and see if I can see anything that I can solder and do so, that motor trick sounds interesting too...Hmmm....one thing at a time, that way I'll know for sure what was the issue and how it was solved...

I'll photo shoot the solder job and post it here, if that doesn't fix the issue. I'll look into the motor and glue then if I can redo the glue, I'll photo shoot it too.!