intermitant hard starting

nukinfuts

95 powerstroke
Reaction score
I have a 1995 F250 Powerstroke ext cab 2WD with an automatic. There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason for its habits. 39 degrees outside one morning and iot starts first try, Several hot starts later it doesn't want to start unless you put light pressure on the accelerator. Ity does this sometimes in the cold too, and when it does it takes like 5 to 6 tries before it starts. Otherwise it runs fine, lots of power, good economy ( 20-21 average its 2WD ) , idles great.

Im thinking giving the glow plug relay a shot, maybe its not connecting interally everytime?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Ok so it's getting fuel, I'd look at the valve cover harness' first. They are known for melting. The harness' feed power to the GP and the injectors. Pull the plugs and look inside the harness for ANY signs of melted or deformation.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Ford has repair kits for the harness'. There are two plugs per head with two harness under each valve cover too. The wiring passes through the valve cover gasket. The under valve cover harness' (UVCH) plug into the gasket on the inside. It is possible the UVCH is burnt also.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you dont find the proverbial smoking gun on the harness you really need to look into the GPR that you suspect to be bad, also look at your glow plugs which is easy to do while you are trouble shooting the valve cover harness. You can OHM out the pins on the harness that go to the glow plugs (I believe its the outside pins in each shell) and of you have super high resistance, say any value higher than 2 ohms, or an open plug with 0 ohms then you have some bad plugs.

nukinfuts

95 powerstroke
Reaction score
According to Steve Baz's site, it almost sounds like I may have a bad CPS as well. The truck every once in a while will shut off for no reason, usually when coming up to a stop sign etc. The check engine light will come on once in a while but will stay off for a long time once the vehicle is restarted..

nukinfuts

95 powerstroke
Reaction score
Ok, so I have used the search , but cannot find what napa GPR part # is used. I thought there was one that was the same but alot cheaper that had a differnt mounting bracket... Anyone know that part #?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glow Plug Relay
(Allied Electronics) 576-1078 (Stancor Heavy Duty 586-902)
(AutoZone) MR99
(Ford) F7TZ-12B533-CA (94-96 with pigtail)
(Ford) F81Z-12B533-AC (96-early 2000 w/o pigtail)
(International) 1807230C2
(International) 1826634C94
(Napa) GPR-109