Interior Lighting Question

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to upgrade some of my interior and exterior lighting on the truck to brighten things up a bit. I was wondering, on the gauge clusters in these trucks, do they use a removable bulb that I could replace with an LED bulb instead? My '98 grand cherokee had 5-6 little tabs you could twist out of the back of the cluster, and then swap the old factory bulbs out for newer LED bulbs and what an amazing difference it made, and only cost a few dollars, so I was curious is this can be done with these trucks, as well as the other interior bulbs, such as the overhead dome lamp (which I noticed gets insanely hot, too...). I also wanted to upgrade my cab lights since one bulb burned out anyways to LED lighting instead, and I'm going to tint them as well to match the all blacked out theme the truck will have soon. Is all this LED possible, has anyone done it, and does anyone have any part numbers for the bulbs required? Thanks

Derek

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure which of the 3 models of dash you have, but I'm pretty sure they all use a handfull of 194 bulbs for illumination.
For the dome light, you can swipe one out of a late 90's Taurus like some of us have; it's quite a bit brighter than the standard truck versions.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks, I have a spare cluster in my shed in a box I don't need, I'll check and see what kind of bulbs it takes and if I can replace them. Thanks though, the 194 was what I needed, been a while since I've done lighting. Thanks

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I just got done putting my dome light in that i got out of a 96 mustang. (same as the taurus) Great improvement and an almost direct bolt in. Gets rid of that ugly chrome thing up there.

as for LED replacements. someone on here a while back did his dash light with the LEDs. go to SuperBrightLED.com and you can look up your vehicle and order the LED versions of the bulbs..I know they make them for the dash because i thought about ordering them once.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. So the taurus/mustang upgrade, that replaces the WHOLE dome light units and not just the bulbs then? Thanks

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
that is correct.

i took this image from someone else on here from the search function. You can get them in different colors as well. Mine is black..this guys is the tan. They are also all over ebay

You must be registered for see images

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow I really like the look of that, I'd like black much better though! That looks really clean and up to date, so that's a direct bolt in, wires up and everything plug-n-play? What should I search for on ebay to find one? Thanks

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Pretty much a direct bolt in. They come with a connector out of the taurus/mustang. you do not have to use that. The connections are made through the screws that hold it up. if you take the 3 screws out that hold your light in you will see 1 is ground and the other 2 go into a plastic looking clip piece that is clipped into the roof. 1 wire is for the middle dome light and the other is power to the switches for the 2 side lights. When you look at the new dome light you will see a plastic tab sticking out of it. all you will need to do is cut that off with a pair of ***** or what ever and mount it back up just like the factory one with the 3 screws.

edit: just so you know in my 89 pickup the headlights must be on for the 2 side map lights to work. In my buddies 94 pickup they work all the time.

Last edited:

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh really? That's different, mine will work anytime, even if the key is nowhere near the truck.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The angle of the dome light will be kinda funky if he has a standard cab..........

I bought mine at the local Pick & Pull for $5.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an ext. cab so it should be ok then. I'll probably check pick n pulls first, not really worth $30+ to me haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online