Interior cab moisture trap?

RedTruck

Reaction score
I have the floors stripped out of an '84 extended cab IDI. There is a 3/4" deep channel that runs along the sides that the front seat belts bolt to. I would guess this channel is for moisture, but how's it supposed to work. I don't see any drain holes in it at all. Is it just supposed to trap moisture, then the owner is supposed to clean it out? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you for any help or discussion.

Paul

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure here but it is probably just a brace and it is just an added PITA benefit that it traps moisture and will eventually lead to lots of nice brown rust.LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of those floor panels have rubber plugs in them, as if to say.... If you run this truck into a lake, you can take these plugs out to let the water run though. :rolleyes:

I think that stiffens the cab, and indirectly serves as yet another place for moisture to ruin.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
^^^^ What he said. They're kinda like a unibody sub frame for the cab. Cut them out of there and watch that cab flex all out of whack.

There should be a plugged drain hole near the seat belt mount to alleviate the water runoff.

While ya have the floor all exposed, clean it all up removing any rust, and spray on some of that stone guard rocker panel protectant on there. ;Sweet

Did that with my last truck makeover since the majority of it's life will be condemned to winter abuse and so far 2 years later it still looks good under the floor mat.;Sweet

RedTruck

Reaction score
It's a Montana cab I had sandblasted. First I etch primed and herculined it. I stripped that out last fall and used POR15.

I'm not real impressed with the setup there. I may have to change it.

All the wires I have found so far just run under the carpet padding.

Thanks guys,

Paul

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
It's a Montana cab I had sandblasted. First I etch primed and herculined it. I stripped that out last fall and used POR15.

I'm not real impressed with the setup there. I may have to change it.

All the wires I have found so far just run under the carpet padding.

Thanks guys,

Paul

Ther ya go por15 will save it !!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Staff online