Intercooler Setup

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about how to setup an intercooler on my rig and here's what I've come up with:

I'm going to be running a HX35, typ4 cam, ~20.5 cr, head studs and am figuring on about 20-25 psi max boost. My intent is to maximize low end pulling power.

I've pretty much decided on running an air to water setup, probably from frozen boost. I have not been able to come up a good way to install an air to air unit without significant cosmetic changes (ie cutting the grill down to nothing) and the air to water system seem easier to setup.

I compute a max flow of ~750 cfm at max boost and 3000 rpm.

Looking at frozenboost, I couldn't find a good single unit that would fit well and flow enough. So what I'm now thinking it to run 2 in parallel, most likely a type 19. http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=218&products_id=219&osCsid=a41403893444652f783ebfbca95eeb74 It looks like I can fit one on each side of the radiator vertically wedged in between the radiator / support, battery tray and engine. Driver's side would be tight with the ps pump and steering box, but I think it'll fit. This unit is rated at 550 cfm. The other option is a type 20 which is slightly smaller, but only rater at 350 cfm and thus marginal for max flow. Granted, it'd probably be fine, but the size difference is pretty minimal for the increase in flow rate and the cost is the same.

I'm thinking of running the compressor discharge over the pass valve cover and then down and forward under the vacuum pump and into the intercoolers from the bottom. I would then run piping from the intercooler tops around each side and into the intake manifold.

Part of the plan is to radically modify the intake essentially removing the entire center section. I'm planning to cut along the inside edge of the 'log' section of the manifold on both sides and weld a plate over that area on both sides making 2 separate runners similar to the PSD setup. Then I'll install a flange on the top of each between the center 2 cylinders and pipe each intercooler into one side.

Questions I still have:

What size of piping would you recommend for the intake side? Turbo outlet looks like 2 1/4", and intercooler inlet/outlets are 2 1/2 or 3" depending on which one I use. I'm thinking 2 1/2" would be sufficient but curious what ya'll think?

Any thoughts on fairing the pipe where it enters the intake itself? Ideally this corner would be a smooth radius but I don't really have room. Not sure how much a flow loss I'll wind up just welding an elbow straight onto the flange and having a sharp corner there.

Do you think there will be any balance issues? I'm thinking of running a section of pipe to connect the 2 sides of the intake but sure what size or where exactly.

Haven't figured out how to do the water side yet. I'm thinking I'll try to get a large custom radiator (largest stock is 12x24x1", thinking something closer to the AC condenser in size and 1" thick) and run water flow through the coolers in parallel. Biggest problem I can see is making sure to get sufficent flow for both coolers and getting it balanced. Or maybe just run 2 pumps.

Thoughts?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

After thinking about it I may just go with a traditional air to air unit. I can't really find any good info on engineering a diesel setup, all the info out there is directed toward performance racing.

The latest thought is to move the radiator aft a bit and shoehorn an intercooler in front or it or put the AC condenser there and the intercooler forward. Have to do some measurements.

I don't want to have to hack up the grill to get this to fit, and I have a big winch bumper and hyrdaulic winch below so I have to put it in front of the radiator.

How much does the intercooler block airflow into the radiator? The ones I've looked at seemed like they'd block 50% or more of the radiator surface area.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
On the subject of IC would it hurt anything if I put one in my 93 na and then in a few months put in a turbo?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
An intercooler won't hurt anything. You may see a decrease in boost, but it's because you're getting cooler air. Cooler air is generally better than hot high psi air.

Jaluhn- You should be able to fit a psd intercooler in there pretty easily. 7.3 or 6.0.
IIRC, the 6.0 cooler is actually smaller.
Radiator blockage from an intercooler isn't that big of a problem.
IIRC, the 12valve cummins intercoolers are just as big as the radiator. Same thing on some OTR trucks.

Honestly, doing the water to air setup would be pretty easy. You're over thinking it a bit.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
let me fix this.
install the ic but DO NOT run the piping just plug the ends then when i get the turbo run the piping and be done.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah i read your post too fast.
There you go. That'll give you time to get it mounted just right.

By the way Jaluhn, you mentioned looking for a thinner radiator, that's a no no. These engines need all the cooling they can get.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a '99-'03 7.3 PSD intercooler on my 6.9. Three inch aluminium tubing. No lag and it makes a impressive difference in EGT's and intake temp.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online