intake hat problems with running an intercooler

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed an intercooler in my idi today and ran into an issue. i got all of the piping ran and intercooler mounted and went to install my intake hat and it hits my turbo. im running a early non gated banks setup and i was gonna use a intake hat off a factory turbo setup but that isnt gonna work :mad: im wondering which hat would work with what i have. im thinking i need the one that typ4 makes. ive sent him a pm but havent had a reply. if anyone has any other ideas please let me know. heres a pic of my issue any help will be greatly appericiated
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sad to tell you but you need a custom intake hat to run different turbos and intercooler and hats. Now if you can weld aluminum your golden because you can make adjustments. If not find a weld shop that can. your out there in uncharted areas. Nothing made will fit without modifications. Contacting typ4 will get you what you need. I have a hypermax intercooler with the supplied intake hat but guess what. It also hit the turbo so it needs modifying too.

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking im gonna end up cutting the hat i have and welding a flat plate on that one side so itll clear the turbo. that should be the cheapest and easiest route i think

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Missed that pm, sorry. the weather has raised hell with my internet.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the same intake hat and non-gated banks, but IM not intercooled.

The thickness is pretty high on the hat, you could grind a little off the surface for more room. I did on mine just so I could rotate more

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im gonna have to cut and have it welded cause im putting a bigger turbo on it once i get the engine im building finished

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if you could simply flip over the piece you cut off your intake hat and weld it back on. I am guessing it would be a concave casting, which might even give you a little more clearance when your done. Just a thought, a flat piece of aluminum would work too. Good luck.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of building the tubes for an IC setup myself. I'm using a non Wastegated ATS turbo, but it has the same issue, even worse. I'm building my own hat.
One option I thought of, can the intake side of the turbo be unbolted and rotated upwards?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of building the tubes for an IC setup myself. I'm using a non Wastegated ATS turbo, but it has the same issue, even worse. I'm building my own hat.
One option I thought of, can the intake side of the turbo be unbolted and rotated upwards?

yes

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fordf250..how does the pipe connect to the hat?

i ran 2 1/4 (2.25) pipe.
i slightly reamed the inlet (didn't take much) and slid an exhaust fitting into the inlet.then sealed it (mistakenly with muffler dope the first time) jb weld to make sure it can't leak. 2 1/8 id x 2 1/8 OD
then my 2.25 hump hose slid right into the 2 1/8 od side nicely.
you also need a shorter bolt than the 4" bolt that the banks pressure chamber uses.grade 8 flange bolt. 3/8"–16 x 2 1/2"
to seal the ats 093 pressure chamber; felpro 60038 w/ ultr black (high oil resistant) rtv.

I noticed you have the hydroboost and not running a mechanical vacuum pump off the serpentine belt drive. So whats the belt length when doing this. 110 or ???:dunno

right.i switched over to the SD electric vac pump t run my heater controls and ditched the oem mechanical.
the belt is: Duralast Belt #1080K6
Belt Rib Count: 6
Effective Length (in): 108.07
Effective Length (mm): 2744.978
Outside Circumference (in): 108.63
Outside Circumference (mm): 2759.21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online