Installing Mechanical Gauges in my 86 6.9 IDI

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I picked up the Glow Shift brand 1987-1997 Powerstroke Dual Gauge "A Pillar Pod" for my 1986. Couldn't find anything that was a direct fit Pillar Mount so I figured I would give this a try. It seems to fit reasonably well and I will hit it with the heat gun and contour the top edges a little and probably paint it red to match the rest on install.

You must be registered for see images attach

I am installing a mechanical water and oil gauge and plan on leaving the stock stuff hooked up. Here are the (2) gauges I am using, I always seem to go with the old traditional Auto Meter look, somewhat similar to my Isspro dash Trio.

They are both 6' leads - Looking for input from you guys on the closest and best install locations. I am fine running "T's" to go off the stock locations or sizing down for the the water ports. Really just wondering where is the best place on the 6.9 IDI to get a good reading point and a fairly easy install and stay within my 6 foot limit. I can make the oil pressure longer easy enough if I have to and if needed I can always order the 10' capillary gauge. My hope is the 6' should work fine. I will probably drain and flush the cooling system so I am not too concerned about how low in the head or block I have to go on the temp gauge. Thanks.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's two choices for the temp sending unit. I used the one out on the corner, it reads about 10 degrees hotter than the other spot, but everything is relative and as long as you know what your truck runs at normally, it gives good info. Mine runs about 210 at that location. You can't use tees very well with the temp sender, it needs to be stuck in the water flow path.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayimage.php?&photoid=124480&width=2

You can use a tee for the oil pressure sending unit, but I do not know why you would since the factory oil pressure guage does nothing anyway. That's way at the back of the engine near the firewall, very hard to see back there.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I'm doing the exact same thing right now, but with some NOS Accurate Instruments marine gauges with electric senders. Don't want to hijack here but what are the thread sizes for the factory oil press. port and temp light port? I'll be finding out the hard way later on, but just thought I'd ask so I can have the necessary adapters on-hand first.

OP, would love to see pics of the finished pillar pod install! (I was gonna try to make one out of a couple 2" ABS pipe pieces, an old t-shirt and some resin, but your plan sounds easier)

Just got done installing an Auber Instruments digital EGT, stuck it next to the WTS/fuel filter/WIF cluster in the dash bezel and looks fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online