Installing AC

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I am looking to get my AC system installed before the rally since I am not a big fan of hot weather and we will be travelling with a newborn.

I admit I am fairly new at working on AC systems and would appreciate any advice.

I have a condenser, evaporator with box, dryer, compressor and dash controls. I still need the hoses though, I was hoping to pull some tonight at a yard. I was reading through some threads and I was reading I should flush the system with some denatured alcohol and I should put all new o-rings and orifice valve in before assembly.

is there any way to check a compressor? I have one but there were a few drops of water in the back when I pulled the manifold off. it sat in the previous vehicle with the hood off and a bad hose so I don’t know if I trust it but a new one is not in the budget right now. it turns over freely and I don’t see anything bad like shavings.

basically I am looking for assembly suggestions and to see if I am on the right track. I sure I will have more questions as I progress through this.
thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you running a serpentine belt setup? if so, the AC hose assy to the pump is very specific. the low pressure and high pressure hoses are joined by the mounting block on the back of the pump. I can post a pic of one later.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Jared, for what a new or remaned compressor runs, I wouldn't chance it given the used ones prior exposure. Never tested one before.:dunno
I think my new one was $175

I've flushed the lines before using a pressurized can of trans line flush, then chased it with air pressure fith a line dryer at the noccector to avoid any moisture that may have escaped. Then just pulled a vacuum on for a few hours.
Worked pretty good afterwards after a fresh charge.;Sweet

subway

Reaction score
yes it is the 94 in my sig so it has the serp belt setup. i have, well half, of the low/high hose with the junction block. the high pressure side was rusted off so it is shot. i hope i can find one in a yard but it looks like it is about 45 new, with the other line around 35. like i said though i am really trying to keep it cheap since i will be spending to fill it. looks like changing the heat box will be fun.

if i have to buy new i will, i dont want to cheap out to much and bring the overall bill way up because it had to be redone a couple of times.

Ron, can i just get the trans flush off the parts store shelf? that sounds like a good idea.

i found a friend at work who is liscenced and has a vacume pump i can use and fill it when the time is right.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Jared, here's the stuff I used. I think I used almost 3 cans to flush everything out thoroughly.;Sweet

subway

Reaction score
dumb question but can i use this stuff in the dryer? i assume the answer is no.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
dumb question but can i use this stuff in the dryer? i assume the answer is no.

Unless it's an old dryer and far away from any structure. Then prolly better not cause it is a wee bit flamable.

I think you said best earlier................... Hey kids... daddys playing again.;Really

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the system has been exposed to atmosphere for any time, do yourself a favor and change out the dryer.

cghtnthndrtw

Reaction score
if the system has been exposed to atmosphere for any time, do yourself a favor and change out the dryer.

I second that ;Sweet

I just updated the AC in my 1990 with r134a, bled the whole system, replaced all the o-rings, got a dryer from autozone (a whole whopping $40) ran an oil charge and a couple of cans of coolant through it and it blows colder than ever with original compressor

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you converting to AC? If so the only changes under the dash are the controls. The engine side suitcase is all that needs to be changed for ducting.

chowitworkz

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but will the engine side stuff from my 83 fit my 88

subway

Reaction score
yes i am converting to AC, i am only changing the outside of the airbox. i played it safe and just got a new compressor and about flipped when i found out the high/low hose was more than the cost of the compressor. i will have to call around yards tomorrow to see if i can find a used one.

the front end is all back together, pump in and i am getting ready for the airbox. darn kids sucking up my time.:D

subway

Reaction score
Unless it's an old dryer and far away from any structure. Then prolly better not cause it is a wee bit flamable.

I think you said best earlier................... Hey kids... daddys playing again.;Really

no extra dryers but i got an extra stove i was saving for powdercoating:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle