Installed water injection in the 99 today

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I got the system installed today and it works great. I'm confident that it will help clean out the coking, that has been building up for a while now. I had ordered a nozzle holder from Devilsown, but they are out of stock until sometime in August. I found parts at my local hardware store, and made up my own. I also ordered their 1/4" pressure line, but decided against that too. I used 200PSI/200* rated 3/8" hose.

I had planned to mount the pump in the engine bay, but there just wasn't room for it. I ended up mounting it in my toolbox/aux. fuel tank combo. Here's a pic of the rough fit..

You must be registered for see images attach

Another pic, showing how and where I routed the pressure hose...

I ended up having to mount the pump horizontally, since the toolbox strut was hitting it.

I routed the hose under the truck and along the frame rail. It comes up to the left of the hydro boost unit and goes across from there. Please pardon the picture quality from here on... They are a bit fuzzy. I'll have to take my good camera out and get some better pics later..

In this fuzzy picture, you can almost make out where I mounted the solenoid, the pressure switch and the spray nozzle. I used one of the MAP sensor screws, to mount the pressure switch and ran a 5/16" hose to a Tee in the MAP line. The spray nozzle is mounted in the front of the "Cold" intercooler tube and I routed the line to a loop, before running it across the engine bay. You might also see the solenoid, inline before the loop. You want the solenoid as close to the spray nozzle as you can get it. Especially when using rubber hose. If you don't, the extra pressure will bleed off the hose and dribble out of the nozzle. I did not want that.

Here's a picture, more from the side. Showing everything I just talked about.

I ran a total of three wires into the cab. One is to the 85 relay terminal and goes to one side of the switch. One is the other side of the switch and to the pressure switch. The other is from the pump/solenoid hot wire and goes to one side of the indicator light. The ground for the indicator is connected to the line that goes out to the pressure switch. Neither of the wiring diagrams I have calls for an indicator light, but I like knowing when the pump is getting power. It also helps me know what boost PSI the system is set to. The coolness factor is there too!

Here's a picture of my switch/indicator light...

With the switch on, the light does not come on until the system is triggered by the pressure switch.

Before I mounted the nozzle, I primed the system and checked the spray pattern. I actually think this may be a bit too much water and will probably try a slightly smaller nozzle size. This is the Devilsown DO14 nozzle and is rated for 14 gallons per hour. During my test drive, I used around 5-7 gallons of water. I may try either a 7GPH, or a 10GPH nozzle. Here's a picture of the spray pattern..

Here's a picture of my temporary water tank. It's a 20 gallon ZEP barrel and works great, except it's a bit too high for my fifth wheel to clear...

Also.... Here's where I mounted the relay. The wires haven't been tidied up yet, but it's a good spot for it..

Here's a list of all the parts I used..

(1) Devilsown 150PSI ShurFlo pump.. $99.95

(1) Devilsown Nozzle mounting adapter.. $15.00

(1) Devilsown adjustable (2-10PSI) pressure switch.. $27.50

(1) Devilsown Water shutoff solenoid.. $45.00

(1) Devilsown 30/40AMP relay.. $4.95

(1) Devilsown DO14 nozzle.. $20.00

(20') 3/8" clear vinyl hose (For suction side of pump)

(25') 3/8" 200PSI/200* rated pressure hose.. $.86 per foot, from hardware store. (Pressure side of pump)

(1) 1/8NPT coupling. (mounted to intake side of nozzle)

(1) 1/8NPT street elbow (Mounted to the coupling above)

(3) 1/8MNPT to 3/8" brass barbed fittings. (Two for the solenoid and one for the nozzle mount)

(1) 1/8FNPT to 5/16" barbed brass fitting. (For pressure switch)

(1) 5/16" brass Tee (For pressure switch)

(1) Nylon 3/8MNPT to 3/8" barbed elbow (Suction side of pump)

(1) 3/8" brass street elbow (Pressure side of pump)

(1) 3/8MNPT to 3/8" brass barbed fitting. (Pressure side of pump, hooks to street elbow)

(9) Hose clamps..

(1) 10AMP blade style fuse. (From battery +)

Several 14-16g butt connectors, spade terminals, ring terminals and two suitcase connectors.

I probably used 40-45' of 14g wire. I already had it, so it was free.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Here are the two wiring diagrams I had. I went with the first one and added the indicator light to it..

Here's the second one..

anthonyj

Reaction score
I may be wrong but it looks like the relay is mounted with the terminals mounted facing up. In my experience this allows water to enter the relay which will cause you problems. Usually causes corrosion of the contacts but occasionally causes the relay to stick on.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I may be wrong but it looks like the relay is mounted with the terminals mounted facing up. In my experience this allows water to enter the relay which will cause you problems. Usually causes corrosion of the contacts but occasionally causes the relay to stick on.

I took that pic, before I buttoned everything up. That shows the relay, the way it was.. Good eye!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online