Installed Detroit Truetrac..

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a true locker, or is it a limited slip unit?

I imagine that a true locker would be overkill for a front axle on a vehicle that doesn't see much in the way of hardcore off-roading, but converting an open to limited slip is appealing. My old Scout had limited slip front and rear and would go almost anywhere ;Sweet

And, I second the question on installation cost...I'm mechanically inclined, but I've heard that, unless you have experience setting gear preload and/or have someone with experience to babysit you, this really isn't a DIY project... (I should point out that, for me, this would be coupled with a gearing change)

It's a gear-driven limited slip unit (no clutches)

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I didnt do a gear swap, The only thing I had to worry about is backlash... As long as it's within spec your good to go. The installation is pretty simple, Anyone with a little bit of mechanical knowledge should be able to pull this off. Just do your homework.

I second this... Check the back lash in four different spots on the ring gear before removing it and reinstalling it on the new detroit true trac carrier..... As long as the back lash is the same once reinstalled you'll be fine and have no noise or whine issues... I've done 4 true trac installs on 10.25's and 10.5 sterlings and have never changed the side shims... true trac's are machined so close to a factory carrier I guess.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a loud ting-ting-ting when rolling in 4x4, haven't pinpointed the noise yet.

That's most likely your front driveshaft. All the joints were shot on mine, including the very expensive CV. Mine made the same sound. $300 later from a driveshaft shop and I had a completely rebuilt setup. I couldn't find a new one any cheaper, and this was built locally with not-Chinese parts.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an Eaton E-Locker installed in the 8.8 in my Ranger about 6 or 7 years ago. Not saying that installation cost was good or bad, but I paid around $275 to have it done. The only thing the mechanic had to do was transfer the carrier bearings over to the E-Locker, transfer the ring gear over to the E-Locker, drill the hole in the diff housing for the wiring, reseal the cover and fill with oil. I had done all the prep. work like installing the switch, relay and wiring back to the diff. This was something I did not want to tackle myself at that time. Now I would do myself, as others have said, more than likely you won't have to set the gears back up again - the existing shims will probably work just fine with the used gears. Now, if you are installing a new R&P and the same time - that is whole a different ballgame. If you want to learn more about axles, diffs, lockers, limited slips, repair, replacement, setting up gears, etc, buy Jim Allen's book "Differentials" that he wrote with Randy Lyman of Randy's Ring and Pinion. It is an excellent reference book and you will understand how to set up gears after reading that book. By the way, imho, the E-locker gives you the best of both worlds - diff fully locked when you want it and great street manners when unlocked.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now if eaton would hurry up and make an e-locker for the 10.25 sterling then we would be laughing!

I put the factory lsd carrier in my diff a few weeks back, was easy, just need a dial indicator to check back lash, i had to move the ring gear closer to the pinion on mine, what took the longest was getting the back lash reading and sealing it up.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a D60 waiting to go in my truck; I am strongly considering putting a cable operated OX locker in it.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love an Ox-Locker!-Drool Jon - How hard was it to install? Do you have to buy a custom length cable?

To the OP - hope you don't mind this thread evolving in to a locker thread!

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love an Ox-Locker!-Drool Jon - How hard was it to install? Do you have to buy a custom length cable?

To the OP - hope you don't mind this thread evolving in to a locker thread!

Nope, Not at all...

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got a little ice and sleet last night with about 5 inches of snow on top... That is where this thing really shines, Even after boiling most of the tread off my tires testing it out it still went better then ever. I don't live on flat ground either.. Cant wait to get new tires on it.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a detroit locker in my black truck and its 410 gearing. If I had tread left on the back tires, I pretty much wouldn't need to go into 4wd.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I had a truck shop setup the axle. I just ordered one of the cables they had listed on their site that was a little longer than I figured i'd need.