Injectors question?

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 89' 7.3 I got, it has a return line that runs up to #2 injector. On the 91', the #2 ties into the injector pump. Whats the difference in it? I had to put the old return part back on the #2 for the night. I have not fired the truck up yet. I got the the injectors and the return line kit from Pensacola Diesel and started on it tonight. Thanks

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There seem to be two different ways of setting up the return lines - with a big steel line running off the IP (that's the one with a single return line from the #2), or with rubber hose off the IP to the #2 (and then another hose from #2 back to #4), either of those works fine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any configuration will work, as long as in your mind you can see the fluid finding it's way back to the tank. I do prefer to give the IP it's own return back to the plumbing junction near #8, as that can aid in trouble shooting later.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, the only problem with that is it requires that special 4-way junction, my truck for instance has a 3-way so I can't do a separate return line for just the pump...

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done putting it all back together and i fired it up. The truck still has a miss in it around 2300 and up RPMS. It blows aton of raw fuel out of the pipe. It idles fines. Could it be the injector pump? What do I need to look for?

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blowby seems to be about the same as the 91' I have. Is there something in the pump that could cause that being on the high end? I just got the truck this past weekend and it was doing it when I drove it in. It has new injectors and return lines on it and I double checked it all.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be the pump then, move the timing a bit and see if it changes.

Pmela993

series 60 man
Reaction score
not trying to talk down on anyone but our truck doesn't have injectors there injection nozzle's. An injector uses either mechanical hydraulic or electric means (sometimes muliple) to squeeze the fuel (which is feed to it via a lift pump through the head or other means) out of the injector and into the cylinder. An injection nozzle is basically a simple nozzle that is fed via a steel line off the injection pump like on your ford. Again not trying to rag on anyone just wanted to throw that out there. good luck with yor truck.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not quite - our injectors are opened mechanically, via the spring inside them. Which is just where all the talk about having them pop-tested comes in, cause you can change the opening pressure of the injector by shimming the spring inside it. So no, they ain't just simple nozzles.

Pmela993

series 60 man
Reaction score
ok wow you need to calm down just making a point they aren't injectors look it up in any manual you want and it'll state that there injection nozzles. Sorry i wasn't more specific just thought i'd make a point that theres a difference. Just like when you hear people call an engine a motor, theres a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online