Injector torque sequence or once and done?

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
I am about to reinstall the new injectors that came with my truck and this time I am going to do new return lines:backoff;Sweet in my 93 7.3 turbo. Should I seat the washer, loosen , then torque to 35ftlbs? like on the Merkadeez? I found everything I could ever want to know about the process or renewing the fuel system thanks to the kind folks here but did not see anything specific on this question.

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Reinstalling used injectors please use new copper gaskets and torque once to 35 lbs. No need to retorque later. Reasons for never reusing a copper gasket is they work harden and get small dents and pits in them. If you are in a pinch and really need to reuse one then do this. Rub the gasket on a 10 or 12 inch double cut smooth file. Both sides to see any impressions in the gasket. Only needs to be rubbed a few strokes. When its nice and cleaned off hold it in a flame till it turns bluish color. then drop it in cold water. That anneals the copper making it soft again. Very common copper working trick I learned way back in 7th grade metal shot.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
The injectors are basically new less than 200 miles, but the guys that installed them did not replace the return lines, so I must assume they just used the old washers. So tomorrow afternoon I am going to pull the lines and injectors and reseal the whole thing. I have seen several diesel applications that use these type of copper washers and all the others (they are all german mind you) indicate you should seat the washer by pre tightening to a lower torque setting then loosen and retighten... but If I dont need to that suits me fine. Thankyou for the reply.;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
every return line kit ive bought comes with new injector washers.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
So did mine:D I am pulling injectors to install them. just curious if people use a pre-torque during install

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one note,
they say to use petroleum jelly on the washers to injectors.
they say this is for nothing more than keeping the washers on the injectors.
mine went on pretty solid and had no danger of falling off, so i didnt use anything.
i did use antisieze on the threads.
didnt have a problem with them.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
one note,
they say to use petroleum jelly on the washers to injectors.
they say this is for nothing more than keeping the washers on the injectors.
mine went on pretty solid and had no danger of falling off, so i didnt use anything.
i did use antisieze on the threads.
didnt have a problem with them.

....Thanks man I have a jar in my gunsmithing stuff, used it for lubricating old sidelocks...HONEST:rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online