Injector questions

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
GOt my typ4 return line kit yesterday. Been working on it today. Figured id pull the injectors to do the crush washers. Some of them are original! Some are wet on the ends also. I think im going to change them out with the 6 typ4 injrctors I have from dyoung. With the other 2 ill use the 2 best delphis I have....why were the tips and shaft wetm bad injectors? I checked the bottoms and dont have any ridges. What do injectors torque at, 35lbs right?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I hope you are going to have those injectors pop tested before install.....
Just because they "look" good doesn't mean they will perform good.

The wet ones are most definitely leakers and are in need of replacing.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well I cant have them tested right now, in a crunch cause I cant have the truck down as its my daily driver. I am just going to have to hope they work until I can buy a NEW set of injectors from Russ soon.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you are going to have those injectors pop tested before install.....
Just because they "look" good doesn't mean they will perform good.

The wet ones are most definitely leakers and are in need of replacing.

doesn't Russ pop test em?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Got it all done. Had to replace a few torn orings. I got in a hurry I guess. She seems to be putting out more fuel now because im getting more black smoke, seems to idle ok. All injectors appear to work, I loosened one line at,a time and heard change in the idle. Have not taken it down the road yet. Hopefully with newish/better injectors and a new return kit ill get better mileage! The throttle seems to respond quickly. Now im thinking after having the air breathee off that im getting to much blow by..ill start a new thread later on it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If all the injectors are the same Bb codes you may be fine but pop testing them would have been the best idea. Hopefully the timing has not changed much. Any time you change injectors your timing will change too because of the differant pop pressure in the injectos. This is why its best to know what the injectors pop at. If 7 pop at 1800 lbs and one pops at 1400 lbs the low pop injector is going to be way advanced in timing on that one cylinder. It will cause an engine vibration.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I know what you mean Gary, but I am in kind of a crunch. I didn't want to keep the other injectors I had in there due to poor fuel mileage. Now I got them out I see why it was so bad with all the leakers, and there were a few of them that were original injectors! Yes all 8 of them now are BB code Delphi injectors, the 6 that I have from dyoung are the 3 back ones on each side and the other two spare delphi BB code injectors I have are on the front two cylinders on each side. I do know the ones from dyoung are set to pop I think at 2300PSI and the other two I have I dunno I would have to assume stock settings. Maybe I can scrounge up 2 good injectors and have them set to pop off with the other 6 of typ4 injectors I am running. With them popping off at 2300 isnt going to hurt anything is it? Idk why there even set to go off at such a high pressure. I guess Ill live with it for now because these are the best of the injectors I have.

I do have a few Delphis and a crap load of Standyne injectors in a box. I wish I had the money right now to send a few out to get setup to the other 6 I have.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I understand more now of what you have. I recall the typ4 injectors set to pop at 2300 lbs. The stock settings injectors are going to open early compared to the high pressure injectors. Your cylinder timing will suffer too as will the overall timing settings. The spare injectors can be your sourse for shims too. For now just drive it and enjoy it. I understand the need for keeping your daily driver on the road too.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Once I get the 2 non typ4 injectors setup to pop at 2300 PSI, Ill be back in the game right?

Maybe I can get someone to reshim the two I have and while there away I can use 2 of the other spare injectors I have. Anyone here able to reshim 2 injectors for me? Prices please? Ill send along some shims with them. Id do it but I dont have a pop tester.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Took it for a spin. Really dont feel like it has power like before. I guess the timing is off now. My idle isnt near as smooth as it was with the old injectors. I suppose im getting air intrusion still because of the idle and the slight haze of smoke this morning, which I dont think was there yesterday. Should I just throw the old dang injectors back in?

Whats the trick for getting the return caps on without tearing the damn orings? I dunno how many I had to fix due to tearing them. I been using vasoline to lube them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like your in a sticky wicked position. Can't really say what you do about the ruff idle but the o-rings... Look at the plastic caps. Use an exacto knife to clean off any molding burrs on the edges where the o-rings first touch it. Sorry your still finding issues..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online